Are these vermetid snails? And snail eggs?

Araona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed just yesterday these black spiral things in a few of our coral frags that seemed to appear overnight, could someone identify them please? I am thinking they may be vermetid snails but really hoping not!

Second question, found these on the glass this morning, are they snail eggs?

IMG_20230818_082035.jpg
IMG_20230818_082107.jpg
IMG_20230818_125506.jpg
IMG_20230820_111208.jpg

OP
OP
A

Araona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and yes
Thank you, any idea what's the best way to get rid of the vermetid? I can pull some frags out and scrape them but some are stuck to the rock so can I scrape the in the tank?

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, any idea what's the best way to get rid of the vermetid? I can pull some frags out and scrape them but some are stuck to the rock so can I scrape the in the tank?
1) don’t let them in. QT for a while and ensure not growing

2) bumblebee snails. I had a bad infestation in my 75, added 10 bumblebees and a year later I moved the tank and there are hardly any

3) I’ve heard coral snow works

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone on a frag you can take the frag out and scrape the vermetid off. The ones that are on rocks you can put a dab of superglue over the end of the tube, it will essentially trap it in.

OP
OP
A

Araona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) don’t let them in. QT for a while and ensure not growing

2) bumblebee snails. I had a bad infestation in my 75, added 10 bumblebees and a year later I moved the tank and there are hardly any

3) I’ve heard coral snow works
Thanks so much I just added a few bumble bee snails 2 days ago but may get a few more then!

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much I just added a few bumble bee snails 2 days ago but may get a few more then!
Good luck, I thought bumblebees had died honestly but found 6 of them during the move. It’s not an overnight fix. Forgot to mention I discontinued reef roids and anything that would excite them to extend their nets, try not to let them get easy nutrition.

I was going to experiment with ferric phosphate as well, I bought some but haven’t done the test.

Nov 2022
IMG_6552.png

Today (Aug 2023)
IMG_6554.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Araona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, I thought bumblebees had died honestly but found 6 of them during the move. It’s not an overnight fix. Forgot to mention I discontinued reef roids and anything that would excite them to extend their nets, try not to let them get easy nutrition.

I was going to experiment with ferric phosphate as well, I bought some but haven’t done the test.

Nov 2022
IMG_6552.png

Today (Aug 2023)
IMG_6554.jpeg
Wow what a difference!

ptrahan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nov 2022
IMG_6552.png

Today (Aug 2023)
IMG_6554.jpeg
Did the tubes dissolve or did you have to remove them?

deplinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an infestation in my displays, sump and plumbing. In an effort to eradicate the v-snails I added 100 bumble bee snails to the sump, the plumbing and displays. I just divided the lot in each area. I did see the bb-snails eating the v-snails. I would go out after lights were off and look in the tank with a flashlight and saw they were definitely on the tubes. Then I noticed another snail in my tank that was also attacking the v-snails. After seeing an American Reef video about v-snails, I discovered that I had the type of whelk that prefers v-snails and they were breeding in my tank. That was encouraging. However with the population of v-snails being so large, the whelks and bb-snails didn’t seem to be making a dent. After several months of watching after the lights went out, I determined that I needed to reduce the numbers drastically. I removed my sump (which was infested) and installed a 40 gallon breeder tank and a RedSea Rollermat. Then I replaced the overflow plumbing. Because all of the sump filter media (a mix of live rock/rubble, ceramic blocks/cubes/discs/rocks/etc) was covered in v-snails, I placed all of it in 10 micron filter socks in the new sump. My thoughts were that this would keep the v-snail eggs/babies from spreading and hopefully starve the adults. It has been a few months and i have not found any v-snails in the new sump.
The tide seems to be turning in the battle against these pests. I am now considering another major attack. I bought a frag saw and I am planning on removing all of my encrusted colonies from the live rock and creating a new aquascape after I manually remove or glue the v-snails.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back