Critters living on snail shell?

datagovi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends! This is my first post, I didn't think I'd ever go beyond lurking. I really hope I do this right . Today I purchased four cerith snails to add to the two I have in my cycled 16 gallon tank, which also has a dove snail and a margarita snail (which hopefully isn't too many, I just love how hard the two ceriths I have work at cleaning algae!) I am currently drip acclimating them as well as the mocha storm clownfish I purchased (will be my first fish addition).

This is a long-winded introduction, but here's where I need help. The guy bagged me three normal looking ceriths, as well as a fourth that has a gnarly shell (I'll include photos) and looks like he's existed for 50 years. I didn't think anything of it until I noticed that there are very small critters living inside the tube-like structures on his shell. I worried that they were vermetid snails, but they don't seem to be. They are a fan-like shape. If I touch near them, they'll immediately retract. I will try to use my loupe underwater to show what they look like. There are four of the critters in the photo. I'm sorry they're so bad! Is this something I would rather not have in my tank, or is it harmless? I don't want it to be something annoying like aiptasia, vermetid snails, etc. that I have to try to get rid of. I have no clue what it be. I could try returning him if it's something bad and swap him out, or just put him in my tank if it's safe and won't spread. Thank you so, so much in advance!

EDIT: Could it be colonial tunicates? I just found mention of those on this platform. If it is, should I return him?

PXL_20240415_021833724.MP.jpg PXL_20240415_022025637.jpg

Last edited:

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shells can have thier own little microcosm of life! :) It looks like those are some kind of feather duster worm based on the tubes at the base of the "feathers". Definitely beneficial and the snail is a keeper.

OP
OP
D

datagovi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shells can have thier own little microcosm of life! :) It looks like those are some kind of feather duster worm based on the tubes at the base of the "feathers". Definitely beneficial and the snail is a keeper.
Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate it!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 76 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back