Are these Zinc levels dangerous?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my first ICP test back which shows elevated zinc levels. Is this something I should be concerned about and try to resolve quickly? Does heightened zinc negatively impact corals and fish or just corals? My tank is new having just hit the 3 month mark. The majority of the water was made with red sea coral pro but I have since switched to red sea blue bucket for water changes post cycle (I'm running a zero water change system from here on out unless need be to correct things like this).

upload_2018-4-10_9-21-26.png

Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think we have a good understanding of what zinc level is a problem, and like all trace elements, the level depends on the bioavailability which in turn depends on how the zinc is bound to organic matter in the tank water.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. So then in your opinion, do you think this is something I should try and correct or just monitor for the time being? In some searches on the subject I've seen ICP tests of clean red sea salt mix produce zinc levels in this range which is my current best guess as to the source.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be from the salt mix, but I've also seen analysss of RSCP and Red Sea blue bucket that didn't have elevated zinc.

If zinc is the only elevated trace metal (not tin, copper, etc.) then if the tank seems fine, I wouldn't do anything special except make sure no metal parts are in the water.

OP
OP
CMO

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thank you. I have zero on all other trace metals except a small amount of aluminum so i'll just monitor for further increases at this time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back