are these zoas growing on a clam or oyster?

reefo420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won a bid a few days ago for a zoa colony on a clam or an oyster or something, i've seen a tongue looking thing in it, I'm not sure if it's dead or alive(just very curious,
it seemed to be slightly more open earlier this morning.

St2H8ny.jpg
WroUVBr.jpg

OP
OP
R

reefo420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ezgif-5-366cdc1086.gif
he's alive and well gif is 20mb so not loading for some reason, but he has these 2 big holes and he reacts to my movement/light, closes down, is it an oyster then? he's got like7 80 heads ll around him been flipping him around all day didn't know if it was his entrance or exit :p

Upvote 0

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the name :face-with-tears-of-joy: he's my new favourite in thank - going with zoyster
Zoyster is very much alive and respirating, you'll probably have to target feed the oyster portion with a dilute seawater and reefroids mix or a weak phytoculture every couple of days. wouldn't hurt much to begin culturing some anyways.

Upvote 0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ezgif-5-366cdc1086.gif
he's alive and well gif is 20mb so not loading for some reason, but he has these 2 big holes and he reacts to my movement/light, closes down, is it an oyster then? he's got like7 80 heads ll around him been flipping him around all day didn't know if it was his entrance or exit :p
Assuming the spikes on the right are part of the shell, then I'd guess you've either got some kind of jewel box clam (taxonomic family Chamidae) or spiny oyster (family Spondylidae, genus Spondylus). Super cool find, especially with the zoas on it, but these guys (filter feeding bivalves) rarely do well in our aquaria - good luck with it!

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back