New Zoa or aptasia.

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I bought a Zoa frag on a piece of rock 3 weeks ago and noticed it had aptasia on it so I took it apart outside my qt tank and cut off all individual Zoa polyps and glued down to a new pice of rock rubble about 3 weeks ago. Just noticed this today and was wondering if it’s a new Zoa polyp growing or aptasia. Could someone please help identifying so I know to keep or just toss it out. There are two of these on the new rock.
Thank you kindly.

IMG_2983.jpeg IMG_2981.jpeg IMG_2985.jpeg IMG_2984.jpeg IMG_2981.jpeg IMG_2982.jpeg IMG_2983.jpeg IMG_2980.jpeg

dead rock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like aptasia to me the photo is kind of fuzzy stay on top of them try to get them out of your tank. Most of your aptasia preventives only cause them to spread. If you have too many of them, the only thing I have had luck with is peppermint shrimp

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like aptasia to me the photo is kind of fuzzy stay on top of them try to get them out of your tank. Most of your aptasia preventives only cause them to spread. If you have too many of them, the only thing I have had luck with is peppermint shrimp
Thank you. That’s what I thought I’m not gonna take any chances with this as it’s not worth it I think I’m just going to toss the whole thing out. I thought buy cutting each Zoa one by one I would have not had any cross over but I guess that was wrong. And I cut them off outside the tank.

dead rock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I almost have to think after dealing with them as long as I have they are a part of Reef life the same as those dang starfish

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost have to think after dealing with them as long as I have they are a part of Reef life the same as those dang starfish

Im sure it’s very easy to get them in the system but I guess I’m just doing all I can to avoid that nightmare. Hope it gets better for you soon

OP
OP
CristinaNTimothy

CristinaNTimothy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we all do good luck aptasia x.and f aptasia in my opinion are not even worth getting. They only spread them peppermint. Shrimp is really the only thing I’ve ever had luck getting rid of them with and they only keep them at bay
I agree with you in regards to the aptasia x. I will keep the peppermint shrimp in mind if I ever have an outbreak . At this point I have the Zoa rock isolated and I think it’s best to just toss and move on.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 73 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back