Are tiny rastas a thing?

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These have slightly different colour ratios than normal rastas, a shorter skirt and about half the size:

016.jpg

Are they still rastas?

Eastlake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say so. The way that many zoas look can vary greatly from system to system. For instance, utter chaos in my system under LEDs look like what you would expect utter chaos to look like, in my friends tank they are under power compacts and turn a wicked solid tangerine color that, if she tried to sell them, she'd probably get lit up for saying that they were utter chaos. But I'd say that what you're seeing is how that color strain of zoanthid will react to your system, beautiful zoanthids you've got there regardless.

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yeah, they are quite nice... I picked up a bunch of frags at a good price from a guy tearing down his system, and from what I can tell, there are three slightly different variants of rastas in the mix.

Heddon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size differences can be caused by placement in the tank. I know for a fact that some varieties grow larger under lower light. The reverse may be true for some zoas but of that I am not certain.

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size differences can be caused by placement in the tank. I know for a fact that some varieties grow larger under lower light. The reverse may be true for some zoas but of that I am not certain.

That's a really good point. I've seen some tanks that have huge zoa polyps (that I also have, we got them from the same source), while mine remain smaller...

So yeah, this guy likely would have had these two frags in different places in the tank. There are also a couple Greenbay Packers on different plugs and the intensity of the colouring is different (i.e. some are pale others are rich in colour)...

Neat!

urban coral farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen rasta that are so small that you could bearly tell what they are the polyps on the colony where also spaces very far apart not sure what caused this since it was a trade in colony at a LFS.

OP
OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen rasta that are so small that you could bearly tell what they are the polyps on the colony where also spaces very far apart not sure what caused this since it was a trade in colony at a LFS.

Interesting, these ones are also kind of like that (you can almost tell in the picture). Maybe they were "normal" size when they were reproducing and shrunk because they were moved in the tank or something...

I'm going to throw these on my grow out rack (med-high light), I'll report back if they change.

Thanks everyone!

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back