Votes: 19 21.1%

• Total voters

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock used to be the norm. Then dry rock became more popular, with the ability to control exactly what goes in. Recently, it seems theres a strong push back to live rock. What camp are you in?

I started my tank with dry rock years ago and have never added live rock, but I plan on adding some when i upgrade and get a larger tank.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dry base rock on this current tank, basically to cut the cost, and dealt with many months battle with algae. On my last tanks I used live rock, and no algae problem to deal with. You get what you pay for in this hobby

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used both when I started. The majority of it was dry though. Next tank I will not be using any dry rock at all. Hitchhikers and pests can all be managed in one way or another. There's no product out there that fast forwards a tanks maturity.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lucky and in 2006 only live rock mined from the ocean then traded among lfs was available, I never threw it out so its all covered in coral now but up under is classic ripped from the ocean live rock.

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used both when I started. The majority of it was dry though. Next tank I will not be using any dry rock at all. Hitchhikers and pests can all be managed in one way or another. There's no product out there that fast forwards a tanks maturity.
Did adding the live make any difference in terms of algae issues ?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% ocean rock. I honestly had no idea dry rock was an option after coming back into hobby after 15yr hiatus. Ocean rock was all that was used in early 2000's
Dry rock may have some applications in my system moving forward if I cant figure out a way to efficiently cut some of my ocean rock up for shelving and water flow deflection purposes.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mix of the two for cost reasons. However it seems dry rock now cost as much as liverock used to...

I was shocked when LFS (i was out of hobby 10 years) were trying to tell me LR is terrible because hitchhikers "like bristle worms". I told them "oh like the ones I see in your tank" which he argued wasn't possible.

Anyways went to another store and bought about a pound of rock from his sump and in under 3 weeks already have an explosion of life. Tons of pods and a few microstars.

If you don't have live rock you have a coral tank not a reef tank imo.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live, mature rock never grew algae while the dry rock did.
This right here, I'm never using dry again this is a crap pic and its from the ugly stage of my tank but it shows exactly what Jekyll was saying. I used live (new and from old tank) on top of dry. The dry rock still has some algae on it, takes forever to mature.

Attachments

• 20210819_112600_HDR.jpg
    20210819_112600_HDR.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 76

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock used to be the norm. Then dry rock became more popular, with the ability to control exactly what goes in. Recently, it seems theres a strong push back to live rock. What camp are you in?

I started my tank with dry rock years ago and have never added live rock, but I plan on adding some when i upgrade and get a larger tank.

Live. Lots of cool stuff came with it. People are scared of pests but it's over-exaggerated imo.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This right here, I'm never using dry again this is a crap pic and its from the ugly stage of my tank but it shows exactly what Jekyll was saying. I used live (new and from old tank) on top of dry. The dry rock still has some algae on it, takes forever to mature.
ikr thats what happened to me

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mix of the two for cost reasons. However it seems dry rock now cost as much as liverock used to...

I was shocked when LFS (i was out of hobby 10 years) were trying to tell me LR is terrible because hitchhikers "like bristle worms". I told them "oh like the ones I see in your tank" which he argued wasn't possible.

Anyways went to another store and bought about a pound of rock from his sump and in under 3 weeks already have an explosion of life. Tons of pods and a few microstars.

If you don't have live rock you have a coral tank not a reef tank imo.
i found a bristle worm in my tank and im so happy now

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live. Lots of cool stuff came with it. People are scared of pests but it's over-exaggerated imo.
I think peoples main fail with ocean rock. Is to realize its just rock and once they get that in there head they can move into the mentality of nothing grows in or on my reef or rock unless I want it to. I put my ocean rock through boot camp taking the old schoolers approach of proper cleaning and curing until its cured to what I want it to be. Completely free of pest and algae and covered in coraline and hitchiker corals that I wanted to keep around.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm torn on it. I really want the biodiversity, but I do understand the issues pests can bring. I've thought about getting some and then quarantining it, but that seems like a lot of work. Yeah... I'm torn...

DrLazyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think peoples main fail with ocean rock. Is to realize its just rock and once they get that in there head they can move into the mentality of nothing grows in or on my reef or rock unless I want it to. I put my ocean rock through boot camp taking the old schoolers approach of proper cleaning and curing until its cured to what I want it to be. Completely free of pest and algae and covered in coraline and hitchiker corals that I wanted to keep around.
What is said old school approach of cleaning and curing sir, I have some live rock I am about to cure together with dead reef rock and some nice shaped mined rock in a dark vat to avoid pests, yet get a good microbiome.

20211017_224219.jpg 20210914_105536.jpg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically, I started with dry rock in my 40-gallon Breeder (CaribSea South Seas Base Rock, 10 lbs), but it was all submerged under my deep sandbed as a foundation for my LFS live rock (A little over 20 lbs). I have not seen the dry rock ever since.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back