OP
phatduckk

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet looks pretty simple. Nice rock work by the way! Ill be following along :D

Thanks buddy. Did it over multiple days. It’s just a glorified LEGO at the end of the day. Lots of trial and error and glue stuck to my hands.

Main mistake I made was using super glue after I’d put the structure inside the tank. The fumes from the glue ended up causing a strange film in the inside glass that I had to spend an hour or so to scrub off

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks buddy. Did it over multiple days. It’s just a glorified LEGO at the end of the day. Lots of trial and error and glue stuck to my hands.

Main mistake I made was using super glue after I’d put the structure inside the tank. The fumes from the glue ended up causing a strange film in the inside glass that I had to spend an hour or so to scrub off

Hm that's weird. I used a small amount of superglue in my tank and I didn't have that experience. I'm thinking of using the putty you used to secure some of the rocks that are still kind of unstable since my tanks full already.

Are you thinking of running any reactors/a manifold?

OP
OP
phatduckk

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm that's weird. I used a small amount of superglue in my tank and I didn't have that experience. I'm thinking of using the putty you used to secure some of the rocks that are still kind of unstable since my tanks full already.

Are you thinking of running any reactors/a manifold?

The putty definitely worked well. Any parts where I could see a massive patch of purple putty I super glued rubble to hide it. Didn’t get it all but got a majority of the ugly bits.

Ya I have a BRS duel reactor that you can see on the left in post 4. I shoved a white piece of wood (shelf from Home Depot) between the sump and the wall and mounted it to that as I wanted to avoid drilling into the actual cabinet.

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank and setup from another pug person! I'm excited to be following along. Good luck, and keep the updates coming!

OP
OP
phatduckk

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank and setup from another pug person! I'm excited to be following along. Good luck, and keep the updates coming!

Thanks. I’m taking my time with it. I figure rushing will just cause me to mess something up. Hoping to get water in it and start the cycle in a couple weekends!

OP
OP
phatduckk

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Things have been slow going as I’ve got a trip coming up. But today I finally started setting up my QT.

1A5DB8D8-4DFD-4359-BED5-848AEBAFAF68.jpeg

3BDCB41B-9725-49F9-887D-DE84EF66F127.jpeg

Nothing too informative to report. Just painted the sides and back with Rustolium from Home Depot.

Gonna outfit it with a cheap power head, heater, PVC & a small HOB.

Saw these Picasso Clown dudes at the LFS today that I’m gonna buy & QT as soon as I’m back from my trip.

DD47F41F-7FAD-46CF-8741-E1AC658B6C80.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
phatduckk

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - finally made some progress. My QT tank is up and has the Maxi Jet plugged in to get the salt mixed.

IMG_1118.jpg

I also, finally, fired up my RODI system and have started collecting clean water that I'll end up using in my display tank (used RODI from LFS for QT).

IMG_1119.jpg

I'm going on a trip tomorrow and hoping to have things all tee'd up to get a couple clowns into QT and the display filled up the day I get back =)

OP
OP
phatduckk

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I wasn’t expecting this... my ammonia alert badge just switched over to “alert”. I literally added water a couple hours ago.

Oh well; gonna leave it be and deal with it after my trip. Worst case I just dump it all and start over.

OP
OP
phatduckk

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... I think tomorrow’s the day! Today I started mixing up about 65 gallons of salt water which should be enough to fill up my display.

3E4C11D4-3268-43F0-BE1E-1AFB40233159.jpeg

Once one of these gets emptied out I’ll mix up about 15-20 gallons to get the sump filled.

Not gonna lie - I’m kinda nervous!

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... I think tomorrow’s the day! Today I started mixing up about 65 gallons of salt water which should be enough to fill up my display.

Once one of these gets emptied out I’ll mix up about 15-20 gallons to get the sump filled.

Not gonna lie - I’m kinda nervous!

Good luck. Just leak testing my 350. Hope to aquascape this weekend and filler her up and start the cycle. First fish finishing QT. Happy reefing!

0AF11135-0AE1-478E-B741-9CE23E40917D.jpeg

SteveEreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally!!!

6F973A32-18D0-47D4-8B64-9722ABF7F5DE.jpeg

C25AB6FC-7070-4115-9411-AE7E70EF8185.jpeg

6447FAC7-342C-46D7-8216-14D23BE6C33F.jpeg

All that’s left is to setup the Tunze ATO and a big of wire/cable management.

Very excited that everything went smoothly. I’ll add some Dr Tims in a day or 2 to kick off the cycle.
Really nice aquascape. Is the Varios pretty quiet? My Sicce is a little noisy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally!!!

6447FAC7-342C-46D7-8216-14D23BE6C33F.jpeg

All that’s left is to setup the Tunze ATO and a big of wire/cable management.

Very excited that everything went smoothly. I’ll add some Dr Tims in a day or 2 to kick off the cycle.

Nice build!

I have one tip for you regarding the Red Sea Skimmer. On the clear pole for the control knob there is a little red sticker that many people overlook. The sticker reads "water level" and you should adjust the water level in the sump to be somewhere near the middle of the sticker as that is the sweet spot for the skimmer to operate properly.

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Just got a couple of clowns myself. First saltwater fish. Wonder if we should start a poll to ask what was your first saltwater fish in a tank!

OP
OP
phatduckk

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build!

I have one tip for you regarding the Red Sea Skimmer. On the clear pole for the control knob there is a little red sticker that many people overlook. The sticker reads "water level" and you should adjust the water level in the sump to be somewhere near the middle of the sticker as that is the sweet spot for the skimmer to operate properly.

I haven't turned the skimmer on yet but will soon - I always figured I'd just raise the skimmer to get to the proper height. Is there a way to adjust the water level in the skimmer chamber? I thought only the return section was controllable and the rest just did what it does.

Totally new to this so any tips are much appreciated

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't turned the skimmer on yet but will soon - I always figured I'd just raise the skimmer to get to the proper height. Is there a way to adjust the water level in the skimmer chamber? I thought only the return section was controllable and the rest just did what it does.

Totally new to this so any tips are much appreciated

I have the V3 sump on my Reefer 250 and there is a adjustable gate in it that controls the water level. That being said I still needed to place the skimmer on an egg crate type shelf with legs to raise it.

OP
OP
phatduckk

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the V3 sump on my Reefer 250 and there is a adjustable gate in it that controls the water level. That being said I still needed to place the skimmer on an egg crate type shelf with legs to raise it.

oh ok. ya I believe (could be wrong) the gate controls the water level in the overflow... otherwise, ya, I was planning on using egg crate or some sort of skimmer raiser thing

KC V.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I wasn’t expecting this... my ammonia alert badge just switched over to “alert”. I literally added water a couple hours ago.

Oh well; gonna leave it be and deal with it after my trip. Worst case I just dump it all and start over.

What happened to the ammonia alert? Sorry I've been away. Sometimes the difference between the green (alert) and yellow (normal) can be very subtle and it looks green in some light.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back