ASD Milli has turned a light green...suggestions?

qchau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established asd rainbow colony about the size of a grapefruit that was pink and had green polyps. Recently the colony has turned green and lost a lot of the pink coloration. It still polyps out nicely and looks very healthy. None of my other other corals have lost or changed any color. I did an ICP test and everything seems to be fine except I was a little low in iodine.

The only major change was I switched over to a kalkwasser reactor for my all/calc needs.

Any thoughts on why it has turned green? Any suggestions on how to get it back to original color?

9A193A27-A49F-41AA-93F0-4C786083E5DC.jpeg

IMG_2779.jpg

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established asd rainbow colony about the size of a grapefruit that was pink and had green polyps. Recently the colony has turned green and lost a lot of the pink coloration. It still polyps out nicely and looks very healthy. None of my other other corals have lost or changed any color. I did an ICP test and everything seems to be fine except I was a little low in iodine.

The only major change was I switched over to a kalkwasser reactor for my all/calc needs.

Any thoughts on why it has turned green? Any suggestions on how to get it back to original color?

9A193A27-A49F-41AA-93F0-4C786083E5DC.jpeg

IMG_2779.jpg
Not sure how quickly this happened but I've had trouble in the past from trace elements being too low. At one time I would assume if just one parameter was off I should be okay. The reality is it's like a pantry. You want to make oatmeal cookies and short in baking powder? You can make the cookies still but they'll be flat and gross.

Using my analogy above my first thought is you're short on trace elements and the switch over has further exacerbated the issue in combination likely with some stress. Looks like this is the only one having the issue so far just be watching for others that also seem to lose their coloration. The SPS will be the first to show signs.

OP
OP
Q

qchau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The change was very gradual over the course of a few months. I hardly noticed until I looked back on pictures.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a good read on trace elements, download the reefers moonshiners handbook online for free. Andre goes over many elements in the book needed in our tanks and his recommended levels. If anything, it’s a good read to learn more about the need for consistent trace element supplementation.

OP
OP
Q

qchau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turns out it was trace elements…i starting dosing and colors have come back

OP
OP
Q

qchau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used the tropic marin A and K i believe and dosed the recommended doseage

OP
OP
Q

qchau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I intially did icp but it didnt show anything out of ordinary but i knew kalkwasser didnt have any trace so i just dosed hoping for the best.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back