Ash's 400 Gallon Reef

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think BRS dosers on a timer might be cheapest but still good. I’ve been watching the build. It’s gonna be amazing! Ive been reefing a long time but never did hypo. That seems tough but I think I would have done the same given your situation. I’m guessing you are salivating to get a battlebox in your future.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a cheap 1 head dosing pump for my QT to dose kalk. Originally was going to just do it via top of but then I'd have to be more precise with my water and rather not make it more complicated then just being able to adjust a doser head.

Any suggestions? Prefer something not with an app
BRS doser?

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am considering finding new homes for My achilles tang. I got it for $700 and thats what I would sell it for. Do you think anyone would purchase a 5" Healthy achilles.?

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this bathroom renovation I designed and got done for my mother in law.

20220615_144808.jpg
20220615_144709.jpg
20220615_144727.jpg

B4 and After
Photo_2022-06-05_03-06-56_PM.png

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tile I used for the bathroom 47"X47" Porcelain, I have many tiles leftover (on purpose ordered more :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:) and wanted to make a butcher block sill under my tank before adding wood cabinetry on the bottom and top. Not sure how I am going to do it but i have to figure out how to cut the tile on a 45 degree angle. I will have only 1 seam in the middle but doubt will be a eye sore. Hopefully i can pull it off!!!

20220504_173158.jpg

Last edited:

Huynhter_Soldier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I intend to go barebottom and will silicone 1/4" starboard to the bottom and do my best to create a structure that is visually appealing to me, functional for fish and coral. I bought up all the large pieces of Tonga rock from Aquacave and very fortunate I did, one of the piece is 40" across and 50lbs alone.

While I like Marco rock since its clean its not that porous and for this reef I will be drilling holes in the rock and adding every coral to a removable frag plug. This will give me flexibility to move corals that may be placed in the wrong spot.

Another thing I observed from my previous tank is I did not have enough distance between acros and they grew into each other before they where even 3" big. When i added some Realreef Tonga I was able to spread them out more efficiently and they did far better at different levels. I feel the flow they got being on a branch allowed them to grow symmetrical and having good height spacing is beneficial. Some of my favorite aquascaped tanks are WWC 900/500 gallon tank.

Below is amount of rock I have.

Marshall island: 200LB
Tonga Rock - 200LB
Fiji - 80LBs+
Haitan rock - 25LBS

rock.jpg
Where did you get your hands on those rocks? Been searching forever for some real Tonga and Haitan rocks!

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get your hands on those rocks? Been searching forever for some real Tonga and Haitan rocks!
I've been buying rock before the ban and got lucky with getting all the heavier Tonga from aquacave that no one wanted. Alot of it i didnt even use, some pieces are 30" long and weight 50LBS and not breakable. I also got 400lbs of marshall island rock from a local guy. A lot of his pieces where massive too,

Find local guys that sell Big piece, they will let go of it for cheap but you can't be picky. I took whatever I could get as well. but If i didnt have the option i would really probably go with buying multiple marco cement buckets and use Caribsea shapes and marco rock and make it whichever way i wanted. Thats what i endedup doing anyways and created this.

20220221_221207.jpg

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just look for deals like I found (see links), surprisingly there are not many ppl interested in getting old natural LR so sellers are not going to be asking for $10/lb and most will let it go for dang cheap, I got my rock for almost $2 lb or less bc he through in so much extra.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Qt for corals. No way any aiptasia, coral pest going into my big system. I left a nice space next to the qt tank for easy dipping and inspection.

Everything will be in QT for 6-12 weeks

20220701_142427.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made my own fish food today - What a mission not to gross out the household.

Tilapia, scallops, shrimp, some small fishes that I wonder why humans eat.

20220703_182033.jpg
20220703_184735.jpg

Last edited:

BJEDVM13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! I love your closed system. I’m sorry about the ich outbreak. I would treat with chloroquine phosphate according to Humblefish’s instructions. This would take care of everything and wouldn’t linger in the tank when it’s time to add inverts.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build! I love your closed system. I’m sorry about the ich outbreak. I would treat with chloroquine phosphate according to Humblefish’s instructions. This would take care of everything and wouldn’t linger in the tank when it’s time to add inverts.
Thanks, I am about ready to just say F it and bring back up salinity. I saw some scratching today but no white spots. I am worried its just being kept at bay and may go full mode when i bring the salinity up. Or I am hoping the fish have just become fat and healthy enough to naturally fight it off. I dont plan on adding anymore fish.

I may look into Chloroquine phosphates, now is the time if ever! pretty much nothing living besides fish, hair algae, and bacteria. Lord knows how long the tank will take to get established but I have a feeling it wont take more than few months after salinity is back to 1.025. Mainly bc i have removed a good amount of LR from sump that was not exposed to hypo

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making my own frozen food has been a game changer and more cost effective. I do understand now why LRS charges $20 for a small sheet bc its very nutrient dense onc chopped. . I believe my nutrients should drop since I have been feeding only Mysis since adding Fish. Hopefully i fuel my biological filter by throwing all this greezy junk into it. Never will feed my fish Mysis shrimp moving forward but do admit maybe the reason why some of my fish got very chunk! Especially the orange shoulder that grew 6X in size in 4 months.

Last edited:

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a cheap 1 head dosing pump for my QT to dose kalk. Originally was going to just do it via top of but then I'd have to be more precise with my water and rather not make it more complicated then just being able to adjust a doser head.

Any suggestions? Prefer something not with an app
BRS 50ml doser and a kasa wifi plug.

Rogueaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Fellow Reefers,

This is my first build thread and it's about time I contribute to R2R forum. I started of like everyone else with a goldfish in a bowl then my first Fish only saltwater in (1997). As a Kid I worked odd jobs just so I had money to buy fish. Its crazy to think about it but I've had a saltwater tank for all but 2 years since 1997 and been a reefer since 2007. My first go at SPS did not work because my lack of understanding of their requirements and lack of patients. In this hobby there is so much to learn and I find its best to master one skill at a time. My current tank which was setup in 2017 was my first SPS dominant tank and for this one I was determined to make it work. I ran into a lot of challenges early on but after the 1 year mark things just took off.

Miracle Aquarium 400Gallons 84"X36"X30" (40" external glass overflow box, armor seams, eurobraced)
Flow: 2 xMP60s, 1 Closed Loop feeding 3-4 points in the tank, 3 seaswirls and 1 seasweep.
Sump: 240 gallon Polypropylene tank (Basement sump)
Skimmer: Super Reef Octopus
Lighting 4 Radion Gen 5 pro + T5 Lighting supplementation.
Filteration: Cryptic zone, Cheato zone, Skimmer Zone, and carbon.
Return Pump: To be determined.

Below is my tank before I had to tear it down and the room the tank will be in

IMG-20190728-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20190728-WA0008.jpg

room.jpg
Looking forward to seeing your build come together Ash.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to tear down my QT and drill a second hole for the drain. One 1" drain was not enough and I had the Vectra M1 on lowest setting. now I can have one drain on a full siphon and crank up the flow a bit. Luckily didnt break the tank! I think I am done drilling tanks

20220706_231302.jpg
20220706_234548.jpg
20220707_124618.jpg

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back