Asking for help because I am at a complete loss

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not at all saying that isnt the case though. PAR meter rental is hard to come by anymore so I fear I am gonna have to just bite the bullet and buy one.
Instead of a PAR meter, I use a coral. Blue discosoma mushrooms work great.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just posted this as well btw. You should reach out to them and send a tank sample. see what they can come up with.

I forgot you did send them a sample. Surprised they didn't find anything. Yikes.

OP
OP
HWDylan

HWDylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it has been close to a year since I updated this.

I took everyone's suggestions to heart and didn't go into any idea thinking "I already tried this" or "I know better" and I am happy to say that I have SOLVED this. Honestly I am shocked. I was getting very down about this and actually close to the point of giving up. There were many times when I considered just breaking the whole system down and getting out of the hobby because of this tank.

So what was the solution/issue?

It was WAY dumber than you think. Turns out that the chest freezer I use for my frozen food was not keeping it frozen enough. So I have a large chest freezer and I keep all the food at the bottom in flat packs until I am ready to cut it up and feed it out. I make my own food and store it in large gallon freezer bags. I cut the whole bag up at once into daily feedings and keep them in a tupperware box in a basket at the top of the freezer. Everything stays frozen to the touch and it looks fine but APPARENTLY being at the top of the freezer is not quite cold enough. I figured this out because one day I was going to feed the tank and grab a cube of food and noticed a smell. I have noticed the smell before but fish food always smells kind of gross so I never payed too much attention. For some reason it hit me a little different that day and I got suspicious. I took the remaining food and tossed it out and cut up a new pack and stored them at the bottom of the freezer with everything else and went about my day.

The change in the tank was almost immediate. Within a week I noticed corals (what was left) coloring up and even things that I had taken for dead started to come back. There is a cyphastrea that has been straight up DEAD... like just a skeleton on a rock... for probably a year now and out of no where there are polyps. Corals are wild sometimes. I was so surprised that I started going through everything I did recently trying to figure out what I changed to fix everything. The moving of the food about 12inches deeper into the freezer didnt even cross my mind at first and then when I did remember I thought ... no way, that CANT be it. There is NO WAY some slightly funky food could do this.

but here we are...

So here we are about 4 months or so into the tank having a complete 180. Feels good to get back to my hobby and enjoying it. Thanks to everyone in this thread that contributed anything. I really do appreciate how much input I got on this.

Here are a few pics I took the other day of corals thriving in the tank now. A lot of these are new additions but many of them are corals that went through hell and back.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_20230119_183238_622.jpg
    IMG_20230119_183238_622.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20230119_183244_815.jpg
    IMG_20230119_183244_815.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20230119_183240_491.jpg
    IMG_20230119_183240_491.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230119_183243_002.jpg
    IMG_20230119_183243_002.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20230119_183237_042.jpg
    IMG_20230119_183237_042.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20230119_183235_758.jpg
    IMG_20230119_183235_758.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230119_183233_948.jpg
    IMG_20230119_183233_948.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230119_183231_253.jpg
    IMG_20230119_183231_253.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230119_183227_905.jpg
    IMG_20230119_183227_905.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 18

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I took everyone's suggestions to heart and didn't go into any idea thinking "I already tried this" or "I know better" and I am happy to say that I have SOLVED this. Honestly I am shocked. I was getting very down about this and actually close to the point of giving up. There were many times when I considered just breaking the whole system down and getting out of the hobby because of this tank.

It was WAY dumber than you think. Turns out that the chest freezer I use for my frozen food was not keeping it frozen enough. So I have a large chest freezer and I keep all the food at the bottom in flat packs until I am ready to cut it up and feed it out. I make my own food and store it in large gallon freezer bags.

Wow, quite a turn around! Glad to see things are on the up-and-up.

Considering your comments, I wonder if you might have had botulism spores in the vicinity of your food stores and by not freezing appropriately they became active and produced their toxins?

I couldn't find any specific scientific articles regarding botulism and corals, per se, but did find this reference on Wiki showing that the toxin affects a very wide range of animals:

Botulism can occur in many vertebrates and invertebrates. Botulism has been reported in such species as rats, mice, chicken, frogs, toads, goldfish, aplysia, squid, crayfish, drosophila and leeches.[72]

One might think that the salt content of seawater would kill germinated spores, but at 3.5% it's likely not strong enough (food canning recommends at least 10% salt). And the Wiki reference to 'aplysia, squid' reinforces the fact that oceanic organisms can be affected.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It was WAY dumber than you think. Turns out that the chest freezer I use for my frozen food was not keeping it frozen enough. So I have a large chest freezer and I keep all the food at the bottom in flat packs until I am ready to cut it up and feed it out. I make my own food and store it in large gallon freezer bags. I cut the whole bag up at once into daily feedings and keep them in a tupperware box in a basket at the top of the freezer. Everything stays frozen to the touch and it looks fine but APPARENTLY being at the top of the freezer is not quite cold enough. I figured this out because one day I was going to feed the tank and grab a cube of food and noticed a smell. I have noticed the smell before but fish food always smells kind of gross so I never payed too much attention. For some reason it hit me a little different that day and I got suspicious. I took the remaining food and tossed it out and cut up a new pack and stored them at the bottom of the freezer with everything else and went about my day.

The change in the tank was almost immediate. Within a week I noticed corals (what was left) coloring up and even things that I had taken for dead started to come back. There is a cyphastrea that has been straight up DEAD... like just a skeleton on a rock... for probably a year now and out of no where there are polyps. Corals are wild sometimes. I was so surprised that I started going through everything I did recently trying to figure out what I changed to fix everything. The moving of the food about 12inches deeper into the freezer didnt even cross my mind at first and then when I did remember I thought ... no way, that CANT be it. There is NO WAY some slightly funky food could do this.

but here we are...

So here we are about 4 months or so into the tank having a complete 180. Feels good to get back to my hobby and enjoying it. Thanks to everyone in this thread that contributed anything. I really do appreciate how much input I got on this.

Here are a few pics I took the other day of corals thriving in the tank now. A lot of these are new additions but many of them are corals that went through hell and back.

Thanks everyone!
I'm a sucker for a happy ending

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are the most dedicated person and should get a medal for your patience ! Two years, and so much money and sweat… I’ve been having trouble too for a long time (beginner) but you are inspiring me to keep going !

Thanks for sharing your story and updating. It’s always nice to read a good ending. :)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back