Asking guru randy for help on 2 part dosing.

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone is more than welcome to chime in but I've read alot of Randy's stuff and I know he is very well versed in this.

I am running a 30L tank. 20lb sand 25ish lbs of rock so approx volume is 22 -23 gallons. I run cheato for nitrates and rowaphos for p04. I was doing red sea 3 part and letting a slow automatic water change change water over two weeks. This actually caused my trace to be depleted. ( I assume this because all sps was doing great started stning and then cheato broke apart and got very brittle.) Researching the cheato issue found extremely low iron causes this. The death cheato released massive p04 causing stn in sps. While fighting this somehow my tank balance got out of whack. So I chose to go to a 2 part dosing of oceans blend. This would compensate for trace as well.

Readings 4 days ago. Calc 510 dkh 10 mg 1450 (this had dropped to 1280 during the wack of params) p04 .10 nitrate 15 sg 1.0245-1.025 temp 78 (automated with rkl).

Last night all dropped to 7 while still dosing 18ml a day of alk. I added 15ml of red sea alk and upped my alk dosing to 22ml a day. (This should have held me at 8-8.5) tonight I am 10dkh and 510 calc all other params roughly the same... I've been fighting to set this two part up for two weeks and I just cant get this balanced.

Tank is pretty heavily stocked mix reef. All frags but I have alot. Any advice would be helpful as oceans blend calculation suggestion isnt holding it steady.

Ph is 8.3 at night 8.2 during the day.

Thanks in advance.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all the reading and worrying I did over 2 part dosing…..I went with all for reef by tropic Marin. 1 dosing pump and alk, calcium and, magnesium are dosed at once including trace elements. For me, it was way easier to dial in. Best of luck.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all the reading and worrying I did over 2 part dosing…..I went with all for reef by tropic Marin. 1 dosing pump and alk, calcium and, magnesium are dosed at once including trace elements. For me, it was way easier to dial in. Best of luck.
Ty. I may swap to that. Alot of people around here use the oceans blend but they also run moonshine which is a completely different rabbit hole lol.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty. I may swap to that. Alot of people around here use the oceans blend but they also run moonshine which is a completely different rabbit hole lol.
Lol, There are a ton of rabbit holes to go down in with this hobby. Ive just heard a ton of positives with A4R so I gave it a try. So far I like it. I coupled it with a X1 pro2 dosing pump and as of now I couldn’t be happier.

OP
OP
Nommarune

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, There are a ton of rabbit holes to go down in with this hobby. Ive just heard a ton of positives with A4R so I gave it a try. So far I like it. I coupled it with a X1 pro2 dosing pump and as of now I couldn’t be happier.
I'm going to finish put what I have of oceans blend and see how that goes. Right now I'm not dosing any calc at all. Just alk at .7dkh a day. If it stays stable now I'll see how growth is.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back