Asterina star caught in the act!

FishNerdVlogsYT

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 15, 2018
Messages
31
Reaction score
32
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
df271dafe1b257f35f25139f72ffa9cf.jpg


So i checked on the tank this morning to find this HUGE asterina star covering one of my zoas with his stomach out and everything. I heard only 2 in like 400 species eat coral so did i just get super unlucky!? Considering renting a harlequin shrimp to wipe them out...

Ps. You can see how its still curled up from chowing on my coral. When its open it is at least the size of a penny.
 
100% they eat zoas and palys. I am trying to figure out if they will eat all or only certain kinds see https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...-my-zoas-and-palys.555362/page-2#post-5727580

In my in tank experience they certainly prefer certain types. I have 100 stars of various sizes in the container with different types of zoas and palys. I suspect it's only certain starfish but not necessarily certain species doing the eating as it's very difficult to ID different species. I have 1000s and 1000s of them in my main display and I am in the process of thinning them out. The sad thing is they do a good job of eating coraline and other algae, but for whatever reason they will turn to coral, either because there isn't enough food or they like it better.
 
They eat zoas plain and simple. Everything in your aquarium is opportunistic when it comes to food. Buying a pair of Harlequins was the best investment I ever made for my zoa garden.
I too have a pair but mine are same sex as they each cover half the tank and are never together.
 
I wish I knew more about the different types of Asterina stars. I've had them for years and have never seen them eat the zoas or any other coral.
 
df271dafe1b257f35f25139f72ffa9cf.jpg


So i checked on the tank this morning to find this HUGE asterina star covering one of my zoas with his stomach out and everything. I heard only 2 in like 400 species eat coral so did i just get super unlucky!? Considering renting a harlequin shrimp to wipe them out...

Ps. You can see how its still curled up from chowing on my coral. When its open it is at least the size of a penny.
Did you by chance take a pic of the top of the star caught in the act so we can see the markings?
 
The problem is there's a bunch of species of little stars, and they are given a blanket name -- "Asterina".

I have metric tons of asterina stars. They don't touch my corals. SPS, LPS, Softies, 100% safe.
 
The problem is there's a bunch of species of little stars, and they are given a blanket name -- "Asterina".

I have metric tons of asterina stars. They don't touch my corals. SPS, LPS, Softies, 100% safe.

Thats what i thought too till he decided to start chowing down on my zoas! I hear if there’s a lack of algae they’ll turn to coral.
 
That's a big one. I have a harlequin in 2 0f 3 tanks.

I never liked these things, IMO, a good one is a dried up one. I just DONT trust them
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new