Asterina Star CUC?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Waters
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Joined
Nov 5, 2013
Messages
9,413
Reaction score
20,975
Location
Mentor, OH
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef which contains a Tusk (which means I cannot keep snails, hermits, and most other members of the CUC). I always have had Asterina stars but recently their population exploded. I know that some eat coral but I have not witnessed that in my tank. My question is, how efficient are they as members of a CUC? My tusk leaves them alone.....do they eat large amounts of algae and detritus like snails and hermits?
 
I wouldn't put too much faith into them one way or the other. Aside from being known to munch on certain corals, I've always thought that Coralline algae was primarily what they ate. Your a much more efficient janitor than any snail, crab or starfish will ever be anyways. GL.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new