Asterina Starfish eating zoanthids (what are your thoughts)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had a huge influx of Asterina Starfish lately and they seem to be on my zoa frags everyday. They are multiplying fast and I don't want them making dinner of my palys and zoas. These I am talking about are the grayish, tan ones with oddly shaped legs.

How do you suggest getting rid of thee buggers?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm....

You really don't think they are a problem? What kind do you have? The little full bodied white ones seem to be fine. It's the funky looking gray tan ones like off of zoaid that I am speaking of.

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personally plucked a few off my RPE polyps and noticed a mark where the mouth was. If I could get rid of all of them I would.

Who Dah?

Exoticfrags.us
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personally seen them take out frags, small frags, and even colonies.

The problem is that there's like a brazillion different asterinas. Some are safe, others aren't. Further, they don't "eat" all Zoanthids. One of my Zoa buddies has Asterinas and asks the question before asking for a frag, "Are they Asterina-safe?"

I swear they tend to favor the caribbean zoanthids. But two exact examples of "non-asterina-safe" morphs are bleeding hearts and rastas. I've had so many requests for Rastas. No exaggeration: the last three times they were finally abundant enough that I was considering fragging, asterinas got to them. Didn't wipe them out completely, but brought their numbers down from 30's to 5's and 8's. One of the times, an asterina took out about 1/2 the colony. I caught the asterina and pulled it out. The other 1/2 of the colony was fine. The 1/2 he "ate" suffered severe polyp loss.

So for me? I keep harlequin shrimp.
:)

The trick is to catch your harlequin shrimp before you exhaust their food source and then pass them on to someone else in your local club w/ the same issue. Inevitably, that person will have their starfish population diminished and can then do the same. Soon enough, you yourself will need the harlequin back again.
:)

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i Just bought a harlequin shrimp 2 weeks ago for this exact reason. The stars really messed up my RPE colony big time. I used to see a few dozen at night all over the rockwork. I saw maybe 3 this morning, he is doing a killer job.

Darren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue / gray ones WILL eat your zoanthids. I had a few take out part of PPE colony a year or so ago in no time. I got a Harlequin and I have not seen any more.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just pulled several off some stems of paly polys. Funny thing is my Rastas are probable doing worse than anything in the tank and have been for a while.

Anybody want to loan me their Harq. shrimp?

scp443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen an asterina stars eat anything of value in my tank. However, i do believe, based on what others have said, that if thier population grows too large or if their current food source declines, that the asterina will turn to other means of feeding and who knows what they might start to feast on. Rather than take that risk i decided to get a harlequin like you guys have. It seemed like a logical choice based on what i was seeing in my tank; a lot of expensive polyps and an exploding population of asterina. Also, all i had to do was tell my fiance that we could get one and she was allover it in a second. She thinks they're like the most beautiful things (said in the most girly voice possible) I didn't even have to pay for it! My only concern is that i may be upsetting some balance by killing off the asterina. Only, time will tell.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where did you get yours bro?

Also welcome to R2R!! :D

scp443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! We got it from a local store called country critters. It definitely eats them, thats for sure. We arent about to loan this guy out though. Its like her favorite thing already. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL! That's fine, I need to find one local myself! ;)

You guys think one is enough for my 120g?

R

reef-nut

View Badges
Sounds worse than a few flatworms I have. I have never seen so many of the starfish that you could not keep them down by just picking them out of the tank.

Smarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah those darn asterina's about wiped out a very nice pink colony I had. Luckily I figured it out and got them out of there. My asterina were the pinkish tanish ones. I used to have white ones and they didn't bother anything. But those other ones are monsters.

Sandy

rdvab

Texas "Primo"Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a multitude of the little rascals and pluck them off the glass constantly.I dont know if they actually eat the zoas or just smother them but they definately will damage them,contrary to what I have been told.

morgan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do those shrimp attack bristle stars and sandsifters also?

Smarsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that they will go after anything that has tubular feet like stars do. So I wouldn't rule out any type of starfish being on their diet.

Sandy

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 36 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back