What will eat Brittle starfish and Bristle worms

TViquez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically like to leave hitchhikers alone that help with clean up but the population of both brittle stars and bristle worms has exploded. It's a 2 year old tank. I know they will reproduce when there's a food source so my bioload is obviously perfect for them. I have lots of LPS coral that are doing amazingly well so I don't want to change any feeding schedules for my fish/corals. I only feed them once a day as it is and I just don't want to mess anything up but I need to get rid of some of these guys. Anyone have experience with getting rid of them not just physically but with another invert or crab that's coral and sand sifting starfish safe? Harlequins are a no go because I love my Patrick and don't want him eaten lol

Screenshot_20231209-123117~2.png

OP
OP
TViquez

TViquez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But are they negatively impacting your tank? The population should stabilize based on available food sources.
My rock flower anemones are being aggravated for sure. I can see the legs and worms poking out underneath the RFAs and they have moved a few times when they previously had been in the same spot that I placed them in my tank when I first got them. Other than that, everything else seems fine. There are just hundreds of them, I'm not exaggerating.

OP
OP
TViquez

TViquez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But are they negatively impacting your tank? The population should stabilize based on available food sources.

Arrow crab will probably go after them.
I have also noticed them inside of my return pump and I'm hoping they don't mess it up.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock flower anemones are being aggravated for sure. I can see the legs and worms poking out underneath the RFAs and they have moved a few times when they previously had been in the same spot that I placed them in my tank when I first got them. Other than that, everything else seems fine. There are just hundreds of them, I'm not exaggerating.
I've got 100s too and they are under and around my RFAs also but I just view it as normal reef life. They have some sort of symbiotic relationship I guess.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also noticed them inside of my return pump and I'm hoping they don't mess it up.
Well pump cleaning is something some people do regularly. I've never cleaned mine almost 3 years now. I just let it do its thing. I doubt a soft skin invert would cause damage other then becoming tank sushi.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brittle star population comes and goes. One night I see them everywhere and next month can't find any.

OP
OP
TViquez

TViquez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well pump cleaning is something some people do regularly. I've never cleaned mine almost 3 years now. I just let it do its thing. I doubt a soft skin invert would cause damage other then becoming tank sushi.
I clean my filter sock with water changes but don't normally clean much else. It's a tad cramped where my return is so I'm not even sure it would be possible to do it routinely. I'm really nervous to add anything else in the tank to rid them so I guess I'll just let them dwindle down on their own.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean my filter sock with water changes but don't normally clean much else. It's a tad cramped where my return is so I'm not even sure it would be possible to do it routinely. I'm really nervous to add anything else in the tank to rid them so I guess I'll just let them dwindle down on their own.
Yes filter socks need regular clean or change out. At night with a flashlight there are 100s of bristleworms on my sand. Kind of creepy but I dig it because it's just part of normal reef life in the ocean too. I'm always amazed at how hitchhikers make the perilous journey and end up in the tank, asterinas, micro brittle, sponges, acro crabs, spaghetti worms, feather dusters, limpets, etc....

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This article suggests that there are 2 predatory starfish that will eat brittle stars.

I have not tried this method myself. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

I suspect that some cultures use them for crouton replacements on top of their salads, but again I don’t eat them myself.:thinking-face::cool:

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This article suggests that there are 2 predatory starfish that will eat brittle stars.

I have not tried this method myself. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
I would imagine that a sea star willing to eat a brittle star would be a fairly opportunistic predator. For instance, the common starfish (Asterias rubens) mentioned in the article will also probably go after bristleworms, Tridacna clams, snail CUC, etc.
Eat Krabby Patty GIF - Eat Krabby Patty Patrick - Discover & Share GIFs

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had your problem! I’ve bought both to add to my tank and looking with a flashlight at night, nothing. I know they are in there but a little confirmation would be nice.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them. Valuable cuc that takes care of the waste and excess from my ample broadcast feedings.. my cbb seems to like to eat the small ones. If you want to slow the population growth(without feeding less) try holding a powerhead and blowing out their food from the all rocks, before a w/c, every once in a while.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had your problem! I’ve bought both to add to my tank and looking with a flashlight at night, nothing. I know they are in there but a little confirmation would be nice.
If you want more, dump a handful of food in there regularly. Some frozen, some flake, just storm the tank with food. Itll get in all the nooks and crannies, cuc will meet the need. Keep a eye on nutrients and adjust export. FWIW, my tank doesn't use a reef mat or any filtration that water is forced through. The filter socks haven't been changed or cleaned in years, water just overflows and moves on. They are there to catch bubbles and large debris. Majority of my drain water flows, unfiltered, into a big pile of chaeto catching particulates. I just let it get dirty and cuc expands to keep it clean. Turning waste into food while reducing maintenance efforts. In my humble opinion, most people try to keep the system too clean. The ocean is not spotlessly clean, anywhere

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want more, dump a handful of food in there regularly. Some frozen, some flake, just storm the tank with food. Itll get in all the nooks and crannies, cuc will meet the need. Keep a eye on nutrients and adjust export. FWIW, my tank doesn't use a reef mat or any filtration that water is forced through. The filter socks haven't been changed or cleaned in years, water just overflows and moves on. They are there to catch bubbles and large debris. Majority of my drain water flows, unfiltered, into a big pile of chaeto catching particulates. I just let it get dirty and cuc expands to keep it clean. Turning waste into food while reducing maintenance efforts. In my humble opinion, most people try to keep the system too clean. The ocean is not spotlessly clean, anywhere
Ya I’m reefing very similar to when I started in the mid nineties. It worked for 16 years. If it isn’t broke don’t fix. I’m old school.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I’m reefing very similar to when I started in the mid nineties. It worked for 16 years. If it isn’t broke don’t fix. I’m old school.
Then feed your pods dangit. :) overall I believe it encourages a more robust system that will survive and recover from major stress events. My un maintained refugium keeps nutrients in check, but acts as a buffer from bottoming out. Saved my tank a couple times. I get like 6 months of declining chaeto to realize and adjust. It dies back and supplements the corals/ tank

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then feed your pods dangit. :) overall I believe it encourages a more robust system that will survive and recover from major stress events. My un maintained refugium keeps nutrients in check, but acts as a buffer from bottoming out. Saved my tank a couple times. I get like 6 months of declining chaeto to realize and adjust. It dies back and supplements the corals/ tank
My pods are fed well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back