OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity why do you hate them? Because they look creepy? They are great scavengers. Even so once you add a wrasse or 2 they will go to town on them. I hardly see any anymore
Because they are creepy, and then when I was adding my rock into that tank one almost got its bristle in me.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing... Nitrite is not a problem in saltwater tanks like it is in freshwater. In a new tank, if you measure 1-2 ppm of ammonia and then later (days or weeks, it depends) test and ammonia is 0 and there are nitATES over 10, your tank has the bacteria to support a small bioload and a fish or 2 can be added. Using the bottled stuff just boosts the population of the types of bacteria that convert ammo to trites and trites to trates. These will appear in the tank without you adding anything, it will simply take longer for them to grow to sufficient numbers to break down fish waste, extra food, etc.
Yup, I know nitrites are harmless in a saltwater tank. The only thing is, is that I had over 5ppm of them, and only about 5ppm nitrates, so my LFS said to wait a week and come back.

Queenbee73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a bristle worm? I just added live rock to my tank, and I have already removed 3 bristle worms.  I hate them and would like to get rid of all of them.

I was wondering if this is a bristle worm because it's more pink and the bristles look different.

It just came out, because it is nighttime, so whatever it is, it is nocturnal.

20240218_173320.jpg
I have recently become over run with these ugly things , I know they supposedly don’t bother anything, but when I found one on an urchin and one on an apple snail I said no more! I dipped each rock in a cooler of cold water and alot of them came out. I didn’t add the rock back until they were all out and rinsed. I’m sure I didn’t get them all but I’m sure I slowed them down. Also, I have the huge pink ones.

Attachments

• IMG_6816.jpeg
    IMG_6816.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 13

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can trap them (baited jar with small holes in lid) and even knock down their numbers with snails so you'll never see them, but you will NEVER eradicate them as long as you have rock, sand or gravel. They can withdraw into a pinhole. They're ugly as sin, especially when they get huge (and they can), but they're actually beneficial in sifting sand and cleaning up excessive feedings.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a wrasse? Wont see them if you have one but they will always be there. I like em for clean up

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back