Astraea Snails and zoas?

MrFus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally the time to start thinking on what cleaning crew add to my nano tank has arrived... The tank finally fully cycled and now it's starting to show brown crap all around the sand and the rocks where my zoa frags are located..

I need to scrub some from the glass and throw the sample on the microscope to properly id, but that will have to wait until tomorrow... In the meantime I'm reading and getting to know all the varieties of snails that can be part of the tank, so far I think that for my nano I should get a couple of astraea snails or cerith snails to help with the film algae that is starting to grow in my tank and keep it clean in the future.

Which one should I pick? are there another small snails to take on consideration for a zoa nano tank (20 gallon)

OP
OP
MrFus

MrFus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef cleaners seems to be popular. I bought mine locally. Also check algae barn.
I was just looking the site of ReefCleaners... I like the fact that you can buy snails individually, in that way I can get something a small combination of a two or three dwarf cerith and a couple of astreas!

OP
OP
MrFus

MrFus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... unfortunately the ReefCleaners site don't let me just get a few dwarf ceriths, looks like I need to order a lot more than 10 little guys for shipping!

If my tank was on the +60 gallons it will make sense for me to get a few more than 10 from the start, but for a 20 gallon with a few rocks, a little bit of algae and 0 fish it will look more like snail tank than zoa garden!!

I have never looked for a LFS on my little town, according to google there is one downtown so maybe I will go tomorrow that I'm off and see what they have, depending of what I find and how the place looks maybe I will get some locally, if not I can order online from SaltyBottom Reef (they will ship a small batch)...

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back