astrea starfish

  • Thread starter Thread starter Keybilly
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Keybilly

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 24, 2012
Messages
100
Reaction score
110
Location
Summerland Key, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you guys thoughts on the astrea starfish? I have heard that they won't hurt anything but I have also heard that they could potentially eat zoas. I was wondering if anyone here has had any issues with them eating their zoas? I have seen about 20 or so in my 210 gal that I counted last night. and I can pick them out when I see them, but I think picking them ALL out might be impossible because I have about 300 pounds of live rock and no matter how many I pick out I feel like there will always be some hiding. Should I bother trying to get rid of them or not really worry about it? I heard that harlequin shrimp will eat them but for me that's not an option because I have a very big hawk fish and a trigger.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
 
i have zoas and ive never had any problems with the starfish........the little white ones that are always all over the glass, correct.......

Yes, those are the ones I have. You could probably fit 4 of them on a penny... they are REALLY small.
 
There are several types of them sarah. Some will eat Zoas, most wont. I have 100's of them in my tank, and I grow LOTS of zoas. never seen them near them.
 
There are several types of them sarah. Some will eat Zoas, most wont. I have 100's of them in my tank, and I grow LOTS of zoas. never seen them near them.

Okay, so I guess I will just have to watch them.
This puts my mind at ease though, thank you.
 
I HATE THEM!!!!! I lost a colony of armor of god to those ****things. I pull them out every chance I get and I am getting a couple harlequin shrimp to eat the ones I dont see. YES some will eat zoas and those are the ones I have!
 
I have quite a few in my tank, never seen them bother a thing.
 
We all understood where he was coming from.
 
Are they self regulating?
Example, leave the big ones alone and small ones will stop popping up?
Sounds weird, but it's something I read and am unsure of..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new