AstroReefer's 425XL build

BonelessEvil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply. I've been off of here for months...

I used the plastic cups with filter media because its easier to change out than socks. Work about the same.

Honestly I do not have the list of plumbing parts. I basically borrowed similar plans from Broadfield's build. Basically you can try to figure it out from the picture. I used 1 inch plumbing except at the reactors, where I down size to 1/2 inch. I got most of it from BRS and plumbing supply.com

Lots of options for lenses. I recommend starting with a simply kit lens but if you are ready to move up my fav's are the
Rokinon 16mm for wide field and the Nikon 180 for deep field work. you will need a good tracking mount if you go with the 180.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I was thinking about the 24 mm myself. That seems to be the go to for night sky photography. I don't care much about doing nebulas or galaxies, though I do want to try that as well.

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tempImageKQBuaQ.jpg

Hi all, it has been a long time since I've updated. Life got in the way, but the tank is doing fine after the bumps in the first year. It's now just past two years since startup. Corals are growing nicely and I have had to frag a few that were taking up too much room. Some have not colored up as nice as I would like and I think it is due to my phosphates that bump between .1 and .2 week to week. I'm not running GFO and I don't have a refugium, so I'm giving things a bit of thought.

Any how, here's a full tank shot and a couple close ups. Camera settings were a mess so things are a bit washed out.
Thanks for looking.

tempImageqbVK1O.jpg
tempImagehXwEpE.jpg
tempImageP1DpMQ.jpg
tempImageE4asXH.jpg

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The End.....change in job, moving in the next few months, thus it's time to tear it down. I hope to start again in the next year or two when life allows. Here are some final shots of the system on tear down day.

Attachments

• tempImage5rCDhD.png
    tempImage5rCDhD.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • tempImageBUiW2x.png
    tempImageBUiW2x.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
  • tempImageCh2Zyl.png
    tempImageCh2Zyl.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
  • tempImagekHlbgF.png
    tempImagekHlbgF.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
  • tempImagevo1eR0.png
    tempImagevo1eR0.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 39
  • tempImage6mKgDO.png
    tempImage6mKgDO.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • tempImagebLV0qG.png
    tempImagebLV0qG.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 42

riguy314

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The End.....change in job, moving in the next few months, thus it's time to tear it down. I hope to start again in the next year or two when life allows. Here are some final shots of the system on tear down day.
Hello - I'm sorry to hear to you have to take it down. I have followed your reef from the beginning. I hope to see another build in the future. Good Luck in the new job!

OP
OP
CDavmd

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting to sell off equipment. Corals have been given to a new home and fish will be leaving soon. I will be selling the 425xl system and posting soon.

I will also be selling several items so keep a look out:

1- Neptune Apex
1-Neptune Apex EL
Neptune DOS
Various Modules
two Radion G4's
Giesemann T5/LED Hybrid lighting
Various other odds and ends.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back