At what point is acrylic 'better' than glass?

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buckets. Big ones.

(Seriously though- rubbermaid tubs or similar. Fish and other mobile organisms go separate from rocks and corals. Put a source of flow in each one, or an airstone if it's the fish tub, and put a lid over any tub containing something that can jump. Heaters may be required if it's particularly cold or you take a long time, though personally I would only worry about heating the fish tub. Corals and live rock shouldn't be harmed or even notably distressed by a brief stint at room temperature. Fish shouldn't either, but as they get stressed by being caught in a way corals don't, they might benefit from the extra babying of the heater.)
Well, I used to do that when I had a 200 gal aquarium and it took all day. Can you imagine doing that with a 1600 gal aquarium that is 4 ft deep? This really worries me as much as I would like to use acrylic otherwise.

DJKNOX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 75G glass. Then I had a 150 acrylic. Now I have a 210 glass. I'll never have an acrylic again. Does that help your statement?
I think it those size ranges, a well-designed and assembled glass tank is a no brainer. And at very large sizes, acrylic is the only option. The heart of the debate is the in between sizes...

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I used to do that when I had a 200 gal aquarium and it took all day. Can you imagine doing that with a 1600 gal aquarium that is 4 ft deep? This really worries me as much as I would like to use acrylic otherwise.
You can ‘wet sand’ the acrylic tank without removing the live stock.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why in the world would you break down an established tank to fix a few scratches? I sand them out underwater. If the tank is getting so damaged from cleaning that it requires draining you need to reconsider your cleaning practices.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Among my many acrylic tanks, I still have a 120g Tenecor acrylic tank from 1995 (?).., still looks good, but if I really wanted, it could look new!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 104 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back