Expired silicone

RockRash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I've been out of the hobby for about 10 years. We had a LFS set up shop about a half mile from our house and needles to say I'm building a new tank lol.
Anyway my question is about the use by date on the silicone. I'm putting together a sump kit from modular marine and the recommended Dow Corning 795 for the strongest acrylic to glass adhesion. I couldn't find any locally so I ordered some on Amazon. I was looking at the tubes today as I was about ready to start the project and noticed the had a use by date of 05 Nov 23 so about 5 months out. My concern is it won't cure properly.
What would you recommend use it or return and try and find some fresh stuff.

OP
OP
RockRash

RockRash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's almost definitely fine, but why worry yourself about it? Just return it and get some fresh stuff.
Ya, I agree. Ive been getting everything ready for a few months and I guess I wanted to not have to wait any longer. I started the return process with Amazon. I'm sure it's ok but your right I don't want to risk it. I contacted the manufacturer ( modular marine) because in the instructions it mentioned they sell the silicone. I got a reply in a few minutes and they no longer offer the silicone but they said any aquarium safe silicone will work just fine.

BTW- anyone looking for a external overflow or refugium/sump kit can't go wrong with modular marine. Customer service is excellent and the quality of their products are top notch. I sent them a email tonight at almost 9pm and received a reply in a few minutes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back