ATI 60” over 220 reef

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello reefers,

I just finish building my stand and now it’s time to move on to lighting. I want to use one fixture over the tank just because normally it’s cheaper. Going to dive into the sps world heavy with this tank. The tank is 72x24x30. Anyone have a six foot tank with ati fixtures over it. This is a big jump from 40g haha. I will consider using other light fixture.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll be just fine with that setup assuming you go with a 6 or 8 bulb setup. If you plan on going with LED’s look at the 61” Aquatic Life hybrid fixture. They are around $450 and you can add AI Hydra, Ecotec, Kessil, or just about and LEDs to them. I run 6 AI’s with the 4 60” 80 Watt T5’s and have plenty of light to grow SPS on the sand bed.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 6 bulb T5 ATI unit over my 6 foot tank. For your dimensions and coral plans, I'd recommend the 8 bulb fixture. If you want some LEDs for some shimmer or a better dawn / dusk effect, add in a deep blue heavy / actinic type LED bar(s), but you certainly won't need the LEDs for the par.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I will probably pick the eight bulb. Going to miss the programming part but coral growth and color is better than dust dawn effects. What are the replacement time of ATI bulbs ?

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I will probably pick the eight bulb. Going to miss the programming part but coral growth and color is better than dust dawn effects. What are the replacement time of ATI bulbs ?
I replace every 12 months but BRS did a great video on T5 bulb life recently. Their research showed seemed to suggest to me that 15 to 18 months replacement time would probably be suitable for most people. Obviously, your daily photo period would impact this.

Last edited:

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If cost is a concern be sure and check out our ding and dent fixtures at store.atinorthamerica.com . Longer fixtures tend to get banged up more frequently and are often available at a discount. Just depends on how concerned you are with the cosmetics.

I agree with Daniel Waters.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You'll be perfectly fine with that fixture. I love ATI fixtures, have had the sunpower on my old setup, already sourced the powermodule for the new build.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4' fixture over a 5' tank. Plenty of light.

With your 72" tank, you might take a good look at 60" fixtures.

I went with a used 8 bulb TEK fixture, replaced the ballasts and bulbs with new ATI stuff, good as new.

8 T5 bulbs is _plenty_ of light for whatever you might want to grow. T5 lighting gives a 'flat' look to aquariums that some folks don't like... I am not one of those folks. I'd much rather have flat, broad, evenly distributed light than the pinpoint source or 'disco ball' lighting that most LED's produce.

Truth be told, I'm a huge fan of Metal Halides, but I'm just done dealing with the heat they produce. One of these days, someone is going to come out with a cool running LED that closely mimics 250w DE Halides in a good reflector... and I'll be all over it. Haven't seen it yet.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back