ATI Sunpower 8 bulb recommendations

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, picking up an ATI 8 bulb T5 for use on my 120 gallon build. It is going to be a SPS dominated tank when done and have at least 1 Blue maxima clam (currently in my 92 reef under Red Sea 90 blackbox leds).

Which bulbs would you recommend me running? I want to focus more on the coral and clam health than the specific color.

Thanks for the advice.

-TCoach

D3B5D507-50C6-4E74-AB4D-9F3D65CC7F1A.jpeg
2848A90C-0FAB-4748-9107-DDE0F3793AD0.jpeg

DIFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 4 bulb fixture with 2 Blue plus and 2 Coral Plus and an actinic supplement led over a smaller tank. Really like the spectrum and color but added an actinic led to the mix as I have heard good things about them growing coral.
If I were to do a 8 bulb I would probably run 4 Blue plus, 2 coral plus, 2 actinic. Should get you a good spectrum for coral growth from what I have seen others running.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, picking up an ATI 8 bulb T5 for use on my 120 gallon build. It is going to be a SPS dominated tank when done and have at least 1 Blue maxima clam (currently in my 92 reef under Red Sea 90 blackbox leds).

Which bulbs would you recommend me running? I want to focus more on the coral and clam health than the specific color.

Thanks for the advice.

-TCoach

D3B5D507-50C6-4E74-AB4D-9F3D65CC7F1A.jpeg
2848A90C-0FAB-4748-9107-DDE0F3793AD0.jpeg
BACK
ATI BLUE PLUS
KZ NEW GEN
ATI BLUE PLUS
ATI TRUE ACTINIC
GE 6500K
ATI BLUE PLUS
KZ NEW GEN
ATI BLUE PLUS
FRONT

Keep in mind that you have one of the best fixtures in existence and that everyone that will come here will tell you what their eyes like best! You asked in regards to health. The combo above is what I believe will give you the very best, specially to the clam! Hope you like it!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanting to use ATI bulbs, I assume? Giesemann makes great bulbs too.

If using ATI, any combo of Blue+, Coral+. Throw in a purple and/or actinic to your liking. I always recommend buying extra B+ and C+ so you can experiment a little, and you'll use the bulbs eventually anyway.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful of UBS (Unused Bulb Syndrome). Pick a combo that's pleasing to your eye and stick with it. I have a bunch of different bulbs in the basement and they are always calling me with their Siren's Song.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm curious how you are liking your light? I am looking at the 48" 8 Bulb dimmable fixture for a 60" x 30" x 20" in-wall tank (~150 gallons).

What bulbs did you end up using?

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing

Have you ever tried the Actinic Bulb? Do you prefer the Purple Plus over the Actinic?

They're completely different. Purple plus is mostly a daylight bulb.

In my fixture I have six Blue, one Actinic, and one Purple. I have also tried a Coral instead of the sixth blue, and it works fine too, but with my room lighting on I prefer the sixth blue.

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They're completely different. Purple plus is mostly a daylight bulb.

In my fixture I have six Blue, one Actinic, and one Purple. I have also tried a Coral instead of the sixth blue, and it works fine too, but with my room lighting on I prefer the sixth blue.
Oh good to know. I heard someone reference they liked the Purple Plus over the actinic, so I kind of assumed they were similar.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind too, bulb placement in the fixture will effect how our eyes see the light.

For instance if you put a blue plus in the front, it will look more blue. If you put a purple plus in the front, it will look more white. Bulb placement within the fixture doesn't matter to the coral, but can effect the way our eyes see them.

I run front to back:
Purple +
blue +
blue +
true actinic
true actinic
blue +
blue +
blue +

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a combination of blue plus and coral plus .
from the back
Coral plus
Blue plus
Coral plus
Blue plus
Blue plus
Coral plus
Blue plus
Coral plus

alternate except for the 2 blue plus in the centre of the fixture

I’ve installed them like this years ago and never put much thought into it .

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh good to know. I heard someone reference they liked the Purple Plus over the actinic, so I kind of assumed they were similar.
It was probably me. I don't like the ATI actinic T5 bulbs. They are dim to the eye. I can barely tell if they are on or not. Geismann Actinic Plus is an awesome bulb. If using ATI, I like some combo of B+ and C+, and if you are wanting something different in there I would add a purple +.

I agree P+ is very different than the actinic. More daylight than B+, but not white at all to my eyes. It does give more red. On a scale of UV to Red, something like: Actinic, B+, P+, C+. There are others, of course.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was probably me. I don't like the ATI actinic T5 bulbs. They are dim to the eye. I can barely tell if they are on or not. Geismann Actinic Plus is an awesome bulb. If using ATI, I like some combo of B+ and C+, and if you are wanting something different in there I would add a purple +.

I agree P+ is very different than the actinic. More daylight than B+, but not white at all to my eyes. It does give more red. On a scale of UV to Red, something like: Actinic, B+, P+, C+. There are others, of course.
Is the geismann bulb that much brighter? I've only ever run ATI bulbs. I would agree the ATI actinic is not bright to the eye at all, you can barely tell they are on.

galabis87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For actinic, I like Giesemann a lot better. The Actinic Blue is more like an ATI B+ than an ATI actinic. They also make a Super actinic that's brighter than the ATI actinic.
Hi there just interested in how to change the bulbs? Picked my fixture up second hand and it has legs. Thank you

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back