ATK/ATO Failure Failsafe Coding Help

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some time I’ve had a time-limited failsafe on my ATK/ATO. Under the ATO pump I’m using “When On > 004:00 Then OFF”. My ATO under normal conditions would never run for 4 minutes straight. Additionally, it usually runs every hour FYI.

The problem is that the When command permanently turns the pump off, but there’s no alarm to notify me of this event so it can go unnoticed, and has.

So recently I had the idea to make a virtual output as follows:

ATO_Fail

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Output ATOPump = OFF Then ON
Defer 999:00 Then ON
Min Time 999:00 Then ON

My idea was this: if the ATO pump is off for 16.65 hours consecutively then something is probably wrong. Thus if ATO_Fail turns on then Email Alarm.

The weird thing is that this usually works. But every now and then I get some false alarms out of the blue for no reason. I change ATO_Fail to OFF then Auto to reset it and it works for a while before getting some false alarms again randomly. Am I missing something, or is there a better way to accomplish my goals @SuncrestReef ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add

If Error ATOoutletname Then ON

To your email
Yes, I think that’s what I’m looking for!

So if I’m understanding correctly, “If Error” becomes true/on if an outlet When command triggers an irreversible off? That’s pretty much all I’m looking for.

Are there other uses for “If Error?” When I first set up the ATK for instance it added “If Error ATKModuleLnk Then ON” to my email alarm. That seems to suggest there’s a use for “Error” that doesn’t involve When/irreversible off.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I think that’s what I’m looking for!

So if I’m understanding correctly, “If Error” becomes true/on if an outlet When command triggers an irreversible off? That’s pretty much all I’m looking for.

Are there other uses for “If Error?” When I first set up the ATK for instance it added “If Error ATKModuleLnk Then ON” to my email alarm. That seems to suggest there’s a use for “Error” that doesn’t involve When/irreversible off.
Varies by module. Outlets it asserts when a when statement triggers. Most modules would assert if the module became missing, the fmm will also assert if an issue with a sensor is detected, WAV will assert for any error condition like stall, etc.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I monitor both ATO pump on time and off time with virtual outlets. I use a 4 minute timer on the float switch for pump on time, if the float doesn't return to open in 4 min then I get an alarm. And a 3 hour timer on the ATO output so I know if the pump is not cycling in a typical timeframe, this warns me if the float switch is stuck open.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back