ATK is driving me nuts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

frydaddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to get the Neptune ATK and use it stand alone until I got an Apex. Anytime I do a water change, fill the ato reservoir, or a couple of days go by, the ATK will fill until the float switch engages. So basically I have to monitor the thing to deal with top off daily, which is the reason why I got it, so I wouldn't have to monitor top off daily. Any ideas on how to get the stupid thing to work consistently until I get an Apex? Are the Neptune sensors that bad?

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it properly configured? Sounds like the top sensor is not working properly or is not configured properly

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have issues with mine also, have been running it for 6 months now. I used “tasks” to configure mine but it never worked as supposed.

In theory, the first optical sensor should shut off the pump when the water level gets to it. Then we have the second optical, or backup, that will shut the pump if the first sensor was to fail. The float is the last, mechanical safety.
In practice, my first sensor never shuts the pump. The level rises until it hits the second sensor, which shuts it.

I had to delete the alarm that is set by default if the second sensor detects the water level, or my email will be filled in two days with mesages. I also had to delete the code to shut the ATK off if the second sensor is active, which is the purpose to the whole thing.

Im about to open a ticket with Neptune, as I think some sensors are set “closed” when they should be “open”, thus reason they dont work?

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have he same issue frydaddy, my atk does it id day half the time. The first sensor works as it should then all of a sudden I’ll hear the ato kick on a lot longer than usual and the water is passed the 2nd sensor. A few time seems like the float had to stop the water and then it will work fine for days before screwing up again. My tunze was was more realizable. I really want the atk to work...

cycled123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piece of crap!!!! Been fighting with it for six months. Either overfills and trips float switch or runs to long but still not at sensor. Alarms daily. Worst purchase I have ever made and neptune was zero help. Can't wait to replace it black Friday hopefully

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in your sump is it located? Initially I had it set up on the first drain chamber and was having issues, water would continue filling in and my guess was it took a while to raise the water level and would trip the 2nd sensor moved it to the last chamber where my return pump is and the water is more calm also moved the top off line there and solve the issue, you are correct the first sensor when open pump goes on and the 2nd top sensor it’s just a back up I’m case the 1 st it’s dirty here’s my programming in case it helps

1.Fallback OFF
2.Set OFF
3.If SumpHi CLOSED Then OFF
4.If SumpLo OPEN Then ON
5.When On > 005:00 Then OFF
6.Defer 000:10 Then ON
7.Defer 000:04 Then OFF
8.Min Time 060:00 Then OFF

I also configured my MP40 and skimmer to shut off if the top sensor goes off to avoid spill over and the MP40 60%+ all day is my work horse it will create a lot of bubbles if the return pump goes off

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a SIMILAR problem for YEARS (Water Goes past optical till float switch is hit). Has come and gone.
But for my TUNZE OSmolator Top up (similar Optical Sensor technology)

Here are two Top up Issues I faced, and solved:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I first thought it was calcification on the Optical Sensor, and sometimes it was.
But then it would also happen when sensor was freshly cleaned, which is your case.
I have a theory, that sometimes if light is coming from another source, like a Sump LED, or a Tank Light, it can confuse the optical sensor (maybe a false reflection)
I've never proven that theory systematically, but mine has now been working for about a year without issues. Drove me nuts on off for a while.
Try a new location for your sensor, or shade it if possible.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another issue I faced, is I have a Variable Speed return Pump. So the Return compartment Water Level Lowers when pump running Faster. And rises when Pump slower. (Not by evaporation lowering water level)
When that happened, the Top up would fill up. AND when Pump slowed down, the Water would rise ABOVE the Optical Sensor.
I FIXED this by NOT enabling TOP up during HIGH SPEED return Flow. So it only tops up when Water level it highest.
IS THERE any Situation in your Sump where the Location of your Sensors water level rises and lowers (not by evaporation)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You may have another issue, that other Neptune ATK users have had, or improper programming (but that should be consistant)
Thought I'd mention this anyway.

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your sensors my sensors were freaking mislabeled and backwards, you'd think there would be some quality control.

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have both the ATK and Tunze osmolator. The ATK works well when clean. I do a quick scrub every week (I don't even move it). I noticed that if the sensors did not stay clean then it would over fill. I blame it on 2 things. 2 part precip and i have some light spill from refugium and it might have a little film algae occasionally. My Tunze osmolator has never malfunctioned. I also have a smart outlet sensor for redundancy. Other than a heater failure, ATO failure is probably the next most common culprit for tank crashes. It's very important to add another step of redundancy.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it’s infrared sensor that’s why it works in complete darkenes as well, so light from fuge interfering could be a possibility, but I have a Kessil A160 In my sump I removed my Chaeto and use that as a frag area and I have no issues m, cleaning is only done every 2 months with others maintenance to my system, it was close to my dosing before and yes a significant amount of build up covered the sensor something else to keep in mind

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I would recommend a different product, probably not the advice you're looking for, but equipment that functions poorly is not only frustrating but is a huge risk to your livestock.

I've been running the same UPLC from Spectrapure for over 8 years. It's never failed, never needed cleaned, setup and forget - no goofy controller it's tied to, no coding, no way for it to get stuck in the "on" position, etc. = less failure points.

Apex is a great system. I run one myself, absolutely love it, but I don't agree with using all of their accessories. I feel like they are cranking out add-ons that will take time to be refined. Totally get that, but in the meantime buy the best equipment for the job:

https://spectrapure.com/Ultra-Precise-Auto-Top-Off-System-with-Magnetic-Probe-Holder

I also dislike the Tunze ATO system, it's ancient, hasn't been updated in like 15 years. I have a gallon zip-lock bag filled with broken Tunze ATO parts, two failed systems that are going in the trash. I had the Tunze setup on my frag system. The only good part about the Tunze is that replacement pumps are dirt cheap.

I replaced the Tunze on my frag system with a UPLC-II that I bought used for cheap. Haven't fussed with it at all in three years. ALSO it can run DRY and not harm the pump. So if I forget to fill up the ATO for a couple days, no problem.

I guess on the flip-side I cannot program my ATO to shake, roll-over or play fetch like you can on the Apex but IMO it's not necessary.

Last edited:

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people have had the optical sensors fail usually by flooding, check em out. You can order nicer ones for replacement but not sure where.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few issues with the sensors being dirty, but after a light scrub they do fine. I also know that sometimes the sensors come faulty. I had one that just wasn't working, but was replaced immediately by Neptune and hasn't failed since.

The float valve is a great failsafe, and so is the programming on the Apex where it averages out the time it usually needs to fill and won't exceed that amount.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back