ATK with RODI water and avoiding TDS creep

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to set up ATO with my ATK but running the water lines from the back of the house through to the tank in the living room.

I could just connect directly to the RODI using a solenoid instead of the PMUP, however that presents problems with TDS creep and also has an unlimited supply of water.

I have my water changing station, with 80 litres of RODI water in the back of the house and was looking for thoughts of how to use that as a remote ATO barrel. I could refill it once a week, or as required, and then avoid TDS creep and only have a limited supply of water to flood the house if all went wrong. The RODI tank and aquarium are all on the same level in the house just separated by approx 15m.

I was going to run RODI tubing from the RODI barrel through the ceiling void to the tank but Im unsure of the best way to pump and trigger the water.

Wayward Fortunes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree you don't want to connect your rodi directly. I run 2 barrels at my changing station. One rodi, one salt. I dropped my PMUP into the rodi barrel. 1 holding tank to refill the salt barrel and top off the tank.

It's also a full story below my display and the PUMP handles it fine. I'd expect you can run the line through the ceiling if you like - be aware of siphon risk if your reserve rodi is higher water level than the atk. I added a one way valve at the atk to stop the pmup from refilling the 1/4 " line all the way from the barrel. Very happy with the setup.

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info Wayward, I will try running an RO line that distance and see if it will handle the pressure. It would be pumping the water upwards around 1 meter then through the roof space, along around 15m, then down about 2 meters to the tank. If that all works then I will extend the PMUP cable to follow the RO line and install it . I will also definitely install a one way valve, just for the what if case.
Thanks

Wayward Fortunes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info Wayward, I will try running an RO line that distance and see if it will handle the pressure. It would be pumping the water upwards around 1 meter then through the roof space, along around 15m, then down about 2 meters to the tank. If that all works then I will extend the PMUP cable to follow the RO line and install it . I will also definitely install a one way valve, just for the what if case.
Thanks

If your reserve tank water level is higher than your ark sensors then it will continue to siphon after the pump turns off. A siphon break is as simple as a 1/4" coupler with a small hole drilled in it inside the reserve tank, near the top. It will spray water while the pump is running and pull air into the line as soon as it stops. This breaks a potential siphon and stops extra freshwater from getting into the display.

If the spraying water bothers you it can be fixed by using a t-fitting with a one way valve mounted backwards in the base of the tee. Same concept.

Edit: Just remembered Neptune includes the anti siphon coupler in the ATK

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back