ATO Advice Needed

crownsbroyal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I am trying to get my tank more automated (a red sea reefer 350) and I could use some advise. My tank is located in my basement. I was able to recently move my RODI to the other side of the basement (not near the tank) and plan to set up an ATO there and also a mixing station for auto water changes. I ran 3 RO lines from where the RO unit is located, my thought was to have one for ATO, one for fresh Salt water, and one for waste water. I was thinking to use a DOS mounted near my tank to handle the auto water changes. I am not sure what to do for ATO. I can't use my Tunze ATO becuase I dont want to have to run wires all the way to that room where the RO as it is not easiy to do. Can I set up a ATO system on a dosing pump? This way the dosing pump can me loacted near the tank and maybe I would have a top off sensor or something that can tell the doser when to turn on and off to pull what to the tank?? If so, is there any recommended system for this? Just use a Apex breakout box and have a sensor turn on the outlet with the doser set to always on when water is needed? I also what there to be multiple back up systems so in case of failures that I don't end up with a mess on the floor.

Thanks in advance for any advise!!

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have something that while not exactly your issue, might solve your problem. I have a 65g rodi tank. Far from sump. I put a 5g container next to the sump and use a level sensor and a solenoid controlled by apex to fill that 5g container when it runs low. Gravity fed so the only thing going from the 65g to the 5g is the rodi tubing. And then have my tunze ato in the 5g container just like a normal ATO. It's a half step in between, but it solves the issue with the cables away from sump.

Aquaddictorbj4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about Autoaqua Smart AWC Duo? it for both Fresh and salt water.
It is AWC+ATO combine together. Also, It can connect to DC Solenoid for RO water.

I am using it for over 1.5 years for my saltwater. Love it very very much since I finally get rid of manual water change

OP
OP
C

crownsbroyal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have something that while not exactly your issue, might solve your problem. I have a 65g rodi tank. Far from sump. I put a 5g container next to the sump and use a level sensor and a solenoid controlled by apex to fill that 5g container when it runs low. Gravity fed so the only thing going from the 65g to the 5g is the rodi tubing. And then have my tunze ato in the 5g container just like a normal ATO. It's a half step in between, but it solves the issue with the cables away from sump.
Thanks, but I don't mind the wires or tubes by the tank, i just dont want to have to run the wires 30-40 feet through my basement ceiling to get to where the ATO water is located. I also am trying to eliminate the need to have to drag buckets or containers.

OP
OP
C

crownsbroyal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about Autoaqua Smart AWC Duo? it for both Fresh and salt water.
It is AWC+ATO combine together. Also, It can connect to DC Solenoid for RO water.

I am using it for over 1.5 years for my saltwater. Love it very very much since I finally get rid of manual water change
Thanks! looks like a great system but I would still have to run the wires from my RO water location to the tank which would be a big pain. That is why I am thinking a dosing pump might be my best option because it should be able to suck the water. The dosing pump would be located near my tank and can suck the water through the existing RO lines running to the tank.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but I don't mind the wires or tubes by the tank, i just dont want to have to run the wires 30-40 feet through my basement ceiling to get to where the ATO water is located. I also am trying to eliminate the need to have to drag buckets or containers.
I think you misunderstood what I meant. The only thing running to your ATO water tank is an RO line. everything else is by the tank. I don't drag any buckets either, all automated

OP
OP
C

crownsbroyal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you misunderstood what I meant. The only thing running to your ATO water tank is an RO line. everything else is by the tank. I don't drag any buckets either, all automated
Oh gotcha. I re-read it. I would still not be able to use it because my lines would not work being gravity feed, The lines from the RO bo up into the ceiling and then back down to the tank.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expensive but a Litremeter with an extra head pump from Spectrapure would work.
Talk to them, they will get you set up right.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back