ATO-DIY or Store Bought?

92GallonReefer

It Is What It Is
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am down to just a few things left and was looking around for a ato. Does anyone have any advice on a diy ato or any good brands that dont break the bank? Thanks

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used the Tunze and the JBJ and love them both...

I would just buy one already ready..

rroselavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single sensor Elos Osmo on my 55g that has an electronic controller for fill duration (user programmable - acts as an extra safety measure). Has worked like a charm for 9 months.

I also bought an inexpensive dual-sensor ATO and Aqua-Lifter pump from autotopoff.com for my QT. Holes on bracket obviously hand-drilled but otherwise serviceable and sturdy. Snail guards impermeable. Shipped on time. No complaints about this small company.

Lastly, I keep hearing good things about Level-Loc ATO. Never used it, and it looks a bit gangly, but may be worth a look into.

Last edited:

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think i'm going to get one of the powerheads that suck in air from a tube that way it'll be below the tank and just valve the tube and adjust it so it works

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's the beauty of it no real making necessary ha just need some airline a 50 cent air valve and an empty bucket but ok

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the DIY one from the website mentioned earlier. It's only been running for two months but have never had any problems at all.

Not much electrical knowledge needed to put together. Very basic, although i did solder the connections rather than use the provided wire nuts. Wire nuts scare me, especially around salt water.

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've heard of people using dehumidifier float valves or anything like that think outside the box anything that has a float valve can be used check the hardware store prolly more apt to find parts than at lowes or home depot

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wire nuts are fine. just put electical tape around the exposed parts.. so salt creep cant get in. or use that liquid electical tape stuff.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WIRE NUTS ARE NOT SAFE FOR ANYTHING lol i used to install radios at cc and people who go to the ghetto and they used wirenuts....electircal fires waiting to happen, they fall off WAY to easy IMO

OP
OP
92GallonReefer

92GallonReefer

It Is What It Is
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought the jbj Auto Top Off and cant wait to get it setup in a few days! No more fill the sump every other day!!!!!!!!!

MarkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use to have a solana 34 with jbj set up. ,ine worked perfect. im planning on buying another one soon.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back