Ato for top braced tanks

Lancelogan1217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anyone has advice on a good a.t.o for tanks with black top bracing. The few on b.r.s I liked used magnets with optics on exterior of glass. I don't want to run my water level an half inch below the brace. Thus my conundrum.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming you do not have an AIO or sump?
If that is the case than XP Aqua Sumpless ATO might be a good option.

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most ATO devices are designed to be used in a sump, and not int he display tank.

So if you're not using a sump, I can see that you will always struggle to find a solution that keeps the water level close to the top brace ... all the ones I am familiar with need at least 1/2" of space for effective control.

Sorry.

OP
OP
L

Lancelogan1217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately no sump. Ive seen reviews also for xp aqua, but the problem still exists with bracing needing to be cut to maintain waterlevel above said brace.

OP
OP
L

Lancelogan1217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen people running bucket systems with relays and float switches, and I understand that may be the only option. But I don't want to flood my living room while on vacation.

xAndrewx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard rimmed aquarium and I use the auto aqua micro ato. the return line clamp will fit on the rim with only a little trimming required. For the sensor I used outdoor Velcro instead of the magnet. Like you I didn’t want my water level to be way below the bottom of the trim. I don’t have a sump. I will post a pic tomorrow when there is light.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure the options other than XP Aqua Sumpless ATO, or you could build your own AIO for example the figi AIO's kit and then place the ATO in the return section. I have tried putting ATO on the display section and the amount of water needed to evaporate before the ATO kicks in is a lot. I tried the Hyrdos ATO in the display tank and as long as you use a slow enough pump you could place it high enough to keep the water above the brace however depending on tank size it might still be a lot of water that needs to evaporate before it kicks in.

xAndrewx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I edited my post above. When I had this eat up on my 20 long the clamp fit with no modification to the aquarium trim. This pic is on my 30 breeder and the trim is substantially wider so I had to make a small trim. I snipped the flat piece the scored it with a razor blade and snapped it off. Been running 5 years like this. Just make sure to scrub the sensor so no algea or coralline builds up on it. I do it like every two weeks. I also have the auto aqua on a timer just in case

Attachments

• 2BFF3013-DFD6-4348-AB9D-ED5ABF7E11A6.jpeg
    2BFF3013-DFD6-4348-AB9D-ED5ABF7E11A6.jpeg
    144.9 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
L

Lancelogan1217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure the options other than XP Aqua Sumpless ATO, or you could build your own AIO for example the figi AIO's kit and then place the ATO in the return section. I have tried putting ATO on the display section and the amount of water needed to evaporate before the ATO kicks in is a lot. I tried the Hyrdos ATO in the display tank and as long as you use a slow enough pump you could place it high enough to keep the water above the brace however depending on tank size it might still be a lot of water that needs to evaporate before it kicks in.
I was looking at the hydros, and the tunze. Im running a 55 gallon, and only needing at the moment a 1/2 to 1/4 gallon per day. Ive sustained it manually for over a year, but our neighbors I used to trust to fill it when we are gone for weekends or vacation have moved.

xAndrewx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to somehow measure mine. I have a 36“by 18“ foot print. Totally open top and if I had to guess it may only pump in 30ml at a time.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think in that case the Hydro would work good for you, as you can put the alert level even with the very top of the tank. The pump that come with it however is not powerful enough to get to the top of a 55 that is on a stand it the reserve is on the floor, however if your ATO is not on the floor but about half way up I think it would work fine.

OP
OP
L

Lancelogan1217

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think in that case the Hydro would work good for you, as you can put the alert level even with the very top of the tank. The pump that come with it however is not powerful enough to get to the top of a 55 that is on a stand it the reserve is on the floor, however if your ATO is not on the floor but about half way up I think it would work fine.
I'll check it out, I have closet behind my tank where my brute can, and rodi systems running. I can rig some sort of shelving to hold an empty 10 gal tank and run the lines through the wall. Thanks!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back