ATO Help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unplugged my ATO today to refill my container. After plugging it in, it does this. It does this both with the pump hooked up, and without it hooked up.

Any advice appreciated.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the water damage indicator. The most common cause is plugging in the power supply tip after it landed in water, this is typically repairable. If the controller got dunked or sustained a major spill, it is not repairable. I leave for Germany on Thursday and won't be back until the 14th. In my abscence any repairs that arrive will be arranged in order received and handled when I return.

Tunze USA
2121 Cole Springs Rd
Buda TX 78610

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything I can try before sending it in? What all do I need to send?

It hasn't been exposed to water, so that is weird, it is not even inside my cabinet. It sits on the side.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it is only due to some freshwater condensing inside, for example it suddenly got cold in a humid room, it will need repair that will generally involve cleaning the board and touching up corroded connections. If it is only condensation, it will start to work once it dries. You could open the controller and carefully examine the board for any white or green staining. The most common cause is just that the power supply tip was unplugged from the controller, landed in a puddle or sump and then got plugged in wet and then the corrosion is under the power supply socket which we need to unsolder and clean under neath. The other possibility is water followed a cable down to the controller from a sensor or the pump connections, this is uncommon unless the controller was not mounted and there was no drip loop in the cables.

OP
OP
J

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it is only due to some freshwater condensing inside, for example it suddenly got cold in a humid room, it will need repair that will generally involve cleaning the board and touching up corroded connections. If it is only condensation, it will start to work once it dries. You could open the controller and carefully examine the board for any white or green staining. The most common cause is just that the power supply tip was unplugged from the controller, landed in a puddle or sump and then got plugged in wet and then the corrosion is under the power supply socket which we need to unsolder and clean under neath. The other possibility is water followed a cable down to the controller from a sensor or the pump connections, this is uncommon unless the controller was not mounted and there was no drip loop in the cables.

Interesting, I may have sat it near an AC vent when I disconnected it yesterday. I will open it up and take a look.

If I need to send it in, do I send everything?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only need the controller and power supply, I like to check the power supply as in some cases they should be replaced if the positive inner tip is badly corroded.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back