ATO snail problem in AIO

miran2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 25 and have issues with my ATO. I have a very large Trochus Snail that covers most of the weir on the AIO. So when he is sitting on the weir the water level in the AIO pump chamber drops which would trigger the ATO, but then it would overfill the tank because of the artificially low water level due to the snail on the weir. Any ideas on a solution short of getting rid of the snail?

Thinking I could maybe make a guard to keep him from blocking the flow through the weir.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your snail is plotting to kill you. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

He's obviously on the weir because there's a readily available food source there, so perhaps a regular scrubbing with a toothbrush will encourage him to forage elsewhere.

OP
OP
miran2782

miran2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubbing is never a bad idea but it does not eliminate the overflow possibility (he is probably plotting to flood my living room). Maybe a secondary float or optical switch but on display side to hold off ATO from running if display level is too high. I could wire it in series with my high float switch in the pump chamber so I don't need to tie up another reef-pi input.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back