ATO Tom's Lifter Pump w/ Float Switch

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use this combo still? I know all the rage is Tunze but I'm hesitant to go that route.

A little background, I was prepping my tank for a week of me being away on vacation which involves setting up a 8g or so temp reservoir (rather than my usual 5g) for my ATO setup. I've used this float valve switch to a Toms aqualifter pump for years with no probs at all. So I was putting a new longer tubing piece on to reach the temp res, and while taking the old one off I heard a crack... I broke the nozzle on the pump and my heart sank since I had no spare and was leaving the next day. Luckily I have 2 really good dosing pumps that I could use, just calculated a rough estimate of water used per day and set one to pump a little less each day while I was gone.

So, I'm going to either buy a new replacement Toms aqualifter, or be talked into changing my setup. I really like the simplicity of this system and will probably stick with it, but this whole experience got me wondering if there are any people out there still using the float switch setup.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched both tanks to use an electric eye for water level in the sump. It works very well if you keep the lens inside the sump clean.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a float switch and aqualifter for many years successfully on some of my old tanks as well.

It is an OK option if you are Ok with having a single point of failure. All float switches will fail at some point.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running an aqualifter and double float switch for 12+ years. The float switches are currently plugged into the APEX, but they were initially plugged into a DIY relay setup.

I have no complaints - so far.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an aqua lifter pump for top off, sort of. I don't have it on a float switch. It runs on a light timer and pumps in kalk for a couple minutes every couple of hours all day. It takes care of my dosing requirements and does 'most' of my topping off.

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.

@Ron Reefman and @TheDuude you're using the osmolator then, or something similar? When you switched was it due to a failure of the float switch system or you just wanted to upgrade to newer tech?

@Rybren I have the single switch to a DYI relay, I think I bought back in 2008 or so and it's been great. I'm wondering how often this setup has actually failed, or if the majority of people ditched it just in favor of new tech.

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an aqua lifter pump for top off, sort of. I don't have it on a float switch. It runs on a light timer and pumps in kalk for a couple minutes every couple of hours all day. It takes care of my dosing requirements and does 'most' of my topping off.
That's interesting, do you add the remaining TO water by hand? What about when the ambient humidity changes and the tank evaps less water? Does that mess with your kalk dosing? I haven't looked at your system yet, but I'm guessing with that much kalk dosing it's got to be pretty large.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting, do you add the remaining TO water by hand? What about when the ambient humidity changes and the tank evaps less water? Does that mess with your kalk dosing? I haven't looked at your system yet, but I'm guessing with that much kalk dosing it's got to be pretty large.

Yes, the remaining top off is done by hand maybe every few days. It isn't perfect, but it's close enough. Maybe once a week or so, I have to add another gallon of water.

For changes in humidity: my system evaporates more in the winter, so I have to top off manually a little more. I always keep the Kalk input the same throughout the year.

I add somewhere around 1.5 gallons of dilute kalk a day. My system wouldn't be ideal for everyone. It works for me.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rybren I have the single switch to a DYI relay, I think I bought back in 2008 or so and it's been great. I'm wondering how often this setup has actually failed, or if the majority of people ditched it just in favor of new tech.

I've had the relay fail on me, but not the float switches. Using a double switch is nice, because if one fails, the other should still work to shut off the ATO. As an additional safety measure, my ATO reservoir is small enough that if everything fails, it can't flood my system.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.
@Ron Reefman and @TheDuude you're using the osmolator then, or something similar? When you switched was it due to a failure of the float switch system or you just wanted to upgrade to newer tech?

I was topping off manually. But I had used floats in the past for other things and found them to be less than I wanted, needing regular cleaning as they age. So when I went for an ATO I got the one Reef Breeders sells.

I think somebody else sells the same unit for $10 less if that matters. I've just always liked dealing with Reef Breeders.

OP
OP
Rjukan

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ron Reefman Thanks for the link to the Reef Breeders ATO, I haven't seen that one before and I like the look of it. Its says it needs 1.25" outside the tank, I'll have to check if I have the space in my stand for it if I decide to go that route.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUOTE :@Ron Reefman and @TheDuude you're using the osmolator then, or something similar? When you switched was it due to a failure of the float switch system or you just wanted to upgrade to newer tech?

I am now using a osmolator yes. I used a diy relay for about a year or so and also ran a dual switch system tied to my Apex for many years. I experienced two failures with the dual switch system. First was a switch failure about 4 months in due to a corroded switch ( I think was just a manufacturing defect that took a bit of time in saltwater to manifest ). Second was a failure of my Apex breakout box which disconnected both switched and prevented my tank from topping off during a 4 day vacation. Came home just in time as my return was just starting pull air. After this i still used the system for a couple years but always kept an eye on the Apex during vacations.

I decided to upgrade to the Osmolator to simplify things a bit and have not had a single issue with it.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back