ATO water change help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rezac
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Rezac

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 22, 2015
Messages
79
Reaction score
13
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an ATO unit. I saw a youtube video of a person who made an ato unit to do small water changes every day for him. He used 2 5 gallon buckets. I am new and I am not sure how to do that. Does that require 3 float valves? A full for the bucket it is draining to, a "water change" low level and then a full refill valve?
 
I plan this They have a dual head dosing pump that works great for the auto water change. There is someone on here that uses this but I cannot find the link.
 
I'm just sick of carrying buckets all the time. If I can have small water changes every day I will be much happier
 
That's a sweet idea but I don't have a drain handy. I was hoping to do it a bit different, 2 5 gallon buckets and maybe change a gallon or two a day.
 
Get a Spectrapure UPLC II. They use a pressure sensing tube. My sump water level never goes lower than 1/4 in. It draws water from a 40g food grade container in my basement. I just ran poly tube up and though the wall. I make RODI water in the basement to fill up that container about once a month. No buckets.

Just read you already have an ATO. Same principle applies. You could also do it from buckets or any other container. One float valve.
 
I had a setup on a 120 gallon tank where I'd do 1-2 gph. I had lived in a townhouse were we did not have to pay for water. Something similar could be done with a saltwater tank for aromatic water changes. Once the water level gets to a certain point in the sump it goes to a lift pump with the line running to a drain of some short. Mine had gone right to the toilet. If I can find pictures I'll post them. It worked great. Instead of doing 1-2 gph you would just have to control how much water you're adding new and how often.
 
That's a good idea. I can make that work. I can have it go to a bucket with a float so it can't overfill. Have the loft pump on a timer or have it drip all day.
 
It's really easy. I ran mine up the wall and across the ceiling. If you have to go that route use cable mounts (forgot what they're called. I'll try and find a picture) to hold the hose. You can barely notice it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new