ATO. What do you used? Looking for recommendations!

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What solenoid are you using? I have been wanting to add this to my system but havent trusted anything yet lol.
Originally I used Redhat solenoid's. I got way over 10years use before they stopped working. Unfortunately, it stopped working during covid time and they were really hard to find. If found they were like 3x original cost.

So I found U.S. Solid Store on Amazon and picked up a couple interm units from them for like $20 bucks. Thank you amazon prime! They are not that reliable though. They failed around 8 months to 1.5 years. I changed them out a few times before getting some new industrial ones from PRM filtration. I went a little different and got the miniature ones.

hswan1180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a float valve... Fortunately it came with my sump... To avoid any accidents, i keep my reservoir full enough that it wont overfill my sump if it fails. Yeah the salinity will go down if it fails, but thats not that bad if you keep an eye on your tank.
20231214_195357.jpg

Last edited:

ahopki1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at ReefBreeders ATO (EXO not the Prism) I have this ATO on two of my tanks. I love them and have not had any issues. They are small and look nice on the front of my sump.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much in general if you are looking at Tunze and something else, the Tunze is going to be better quality. The product might not work for you but you can bet that they used high quality materials and the service is the best in the industry (at least for me in the US). The Tunze rep here in the US will fix things and most of their products are component based where you can just buy a part instead of a whole new unit... pumps included.

That IM unit controls larger pumps. The Tunze can do this too with a relay. The Tunze out of the box cannot pump water like a 1000w pump can.

The full-size osmolator with their 3 levels of redundancy is the best, IMO. I hope that nobody ever needs to test all three out.

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running some form of Tunze ATO's since....... 2000ish. I can't recall exactly when, but it's the only ATO I've ever run. As mentioned, the 3155 has a double fail safe - one being the second float and the other being a 10 minute timer. I have two 3155s in use, one is at least 10 years old and still works perfectly.

If you have an Apex and an FMM, you could add a third backup level sensor that turns off the Tunze outlet if it's breached. It's what I do. I'm confident the Apex FMM will be less reliable than any form of a Tunze ATO.

Where I openly admit I'm a Tunze fanboy (in general), and as much as I love the core functionality of my Apex, I do believe that Neptune add-on gear is mostly .... sub par. The MXM, LLS, EB832's, Flow Sensor, COR Pumps (I can keep going ) have all proven to flat out not work or very have high failure rates. Based on my personal experiences, I would absolutely not use the ATK as my primary ATO.
100% agree about the apex add ons. I’ve had a EB832s fail, at least two FMMs fail and their salinity probe never reads right even after cal. I’m considering replacing the apex ato for something more reliable. The best feature of the apex is being able to remotely see the tank status. Otherwise their equipment is subpar.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need advice - I purchased a Innovative Marine Hydro Fill Ti ATO Controller and Pump for my 100 gallon tank. I am in the process of setting up my tank and haven't used it yet. Should I return this one and purchase the Tunze 3155??
I would keep it IF you have a lot of space as it does take up more room than the Tunze, and you got it a lot cheaper than the Tunze, if not I would return…Tunze has just upgraded their ATO so keep an eye out which model you get, you could get the older model, I would expect that it would be a little cheaper than the newer one…the newer one has a lot quieter pump, so you might prefer the new model.

Aquaddictorbj4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using XPA Duetto ATO for over 2 years. The price is more cheaper than TUNZE and customer service is a thumb up :D
Also using Autoaqua but is nano, love it really much for my AIO tank as well

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back