OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saturday was supposed to be the INDMAS Frag swap. Its one of my favorite days of the year. Unfortunately it was postponed to August. Luckily some of the locals still needed to sell frags at the last moment, so i was able to get a few things. I also had a new Achilles tang in QT for the last few weeks and i finally let him go into the tank. Day 4 and its going great so far *crossfingers*. I also realized how bad my pictures from my phone are. So the DLSR will be making its way out of the closet during the next few days!!!

New Achilles Tang
20200314_160322.jpg

20200315_105007_028_saved.jpg

New Wellso
20200314_160309.jpg

Dragon Soul Torch
20200311_194449.jpg

Clam
20200314_160233.jpg

Pikachu Acropora
20200309_195411.jpg

Acans!!!!
20200314_160400.jpg

Pink Hammer, Gold Hammer, Orange Hammer, Bubble Coral
20200314_160346.jpg

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice snags!!!

Thanks! I'm pretty happy with them. Each frag swap I have one particular type of coral I'm going for. This time was to start a Acan garden and I scored. 90 dollars for 6 frags!
20200322_161822.jpg

I mounted the hammer corals I got also.
I now have a:
Peach hammer
Blue hammer
Orange hammer
Gold hammer
Pink hammer
Green hammer
20200322_161844.jpg

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build, looks great! Is there any reason you chose to build with a non-structural plywood? I saw you said you didn't want to have to beef up any butted seams, so you got as big of a sheet as you could, but those knots and the possibility of large voids in a non-structural non-marine grade plywood would make me worried about the long term longevity of the build.

Last edited:

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great so far. Can't wait to see some pics from your DSLR and video from the GoPro if you can manage. I love that your kid(s) seem to be digging the hobby with you.

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build, looks great! Is there any reason you chose to build with a non-structural plywood? I saw you said you didn't want to have to beef up any butted seams, so you got as big of a sheet as you could, but those knots and the possibility of large voids in a non-structural non-marine grade plywood would make me worried about the long term longevity of the build.

Truly the way i see it, the plywood is basically a form for the fiberglass and epoxy. Although i would never do it, i could possibility take the plywood off and it should be as solid as a hottub with 4 layers of fiberglass and 1/4" of epoxy. Im not too concerned about the few knots in the wood.

Looks great so far. Can't wait to see some pics from your DSLR and video from the GoPro if you can manage. I love that your kid(s) seem to be digging the hobby with you.

I took some DSLR photo and they didnt turn out as well as i had hoped. Im gonnna mess with the setting and try again later.

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on whats been happening and whats gonna happen in the next few weeks with my tank:

1. APEX is running!! Just the probes. Ive not plugged in the Heaters or main Return pump yet. I only have room for the Return pump, heaters, and Calcium reactor with the Trident and Dosers. Everything Else will stay normal.
Screenshot_20200414-113939_Apex Fusion.jpg

2. Trident is on hold for now until Neptune starts delivering again. *crossfingers*

3. My Alk is really low and im working on raising it slowly in anticipation for the Trident coming. Its at 5.7 and i wanna get it to 10.

4. More LIGHT! I used my clubs PAR meter and i found out that my 4 Metal Halides are not getting the spread i had hoped. The sides of the tank are getting very little light. So im taking apart my frag tank and going to use one of the halides off it on the display. This will give me 5 400w Metal Halides over the display. I hope to have this done within the week.

5. New Frag tank lights! Because im using the frag tank lights on the display. I need new lights on the frag tank. A friend of mine (Thanks Tyler!) gave me 3 Of these Canon lights. They are supposed to replace a 400w MH but im going to dim them down. 3 of them on the frag tank should be great though. My only issue is that they are 10k and I might need another light to showcase corals in the future.
20200330_151408.jpg
20200414_113713.jpg
20200414_113718.jpg

6. Fresh air intake. Im going to add a fresh air intake to my skimmer from outside with a 1/2" line. I hope this will help to raise my PH to above 8.

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent tank. Well planned and executed to a “t”. I noticed in your first few stock lists you mentioned you had a flame angel and in one of your last posts you show a clam. Is your angel still there and if so, how is it w the clam?

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build ! I have a nice fully qt'ed bannerfish that would be right at home in your tank. It’s in my butterfly tank but it’s going to out grow it in no time.
How are the anthias doing for you?
Gotta say you sure did things right.

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increasing your alkalinity will help to bring your ph up a bit.

Im hopeful!!! Its up to 6.7 after 4 days.

Excellent tank. Well planned and executed to a “t”. I noticed in your first few stock lists you mentioned you had a flame angel and in one of your last posts you show a clam. Is your angel still there and if so, how is it w the clam?

I now have a flame angel and a coral beauty. Both have been model fish. I hope the tanks big enough and i feed enough that they wont pick at the clam.

Very nice build ! I have a nice fully qt'ed bannerfish that would be right at home in your tank. It’s in my butterfly tank but it’s going to out grow it in no time.
How are the anthias doing for you?
Gotta say you sure did things right.
Im constantly counting my Anthias. Last night i counted 11 of the 15 are still alive. I know i lost one one the first month and another had tore up fins a few weeks back. Overall i try to keep feeding alot to keep them happy!

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank! How has the Moorish Idol been with the zoanthids? Every one I had experience with eventually ate zoas like they were candy.

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank! How has the Moorish Idol been with the zoanthids? Every one I had experience with eventually ate zoas like they were candy.

So Far so Good. I really overfeed in the hopes that fish will not pick at corals.

Funny that My skimmer dumps into a 5 Gal bucket that i dump every 3 or 4 weeks when its 3/4 full.

davidrod8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a flame and a coral beauty as well with 2 clams in my 210g. I have never seen them bothering the clams. I do feed a lot though, especially now during the quarantine, I find myself spending tons of extra time with the reef tank.

Atomic, simply an amazing build! Thanks for sharing! Lots of ideas for future projects!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back