Atomic's 800g In-Wall with fish room.

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking great, it's been fun following along on your journey!

How has the tank itself been holding up. I'm very interested in plywood construction for large aquariums but haven't seen much data on how they hold up over time. Have you seen any deflection in the plywood or any other structural changes over the years?

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking great, it's been fun following along on your journey!

How has the tank itself been holding up. I'm very interested in plywood construction for large aquariums but haven't seen much data on how they hold up over time. Have you seen any deflection in the plywood or any other structural changes over the years?

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

As far as how the tanks been holding up, I'm on 3.5 years and everything seems to be like the day I built the tank. Its WAY overbuilt, but it lets me sleep at night. If you go back to the first month, I had a small leak due in the front glass due to not mixing the epoxy well enough. I constantly check this area but I've not seen anything out of the ordinary, So I assume we are good!

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After speaking with @dca22anderson, I have purchased a new automatic feeder. I've been one to feed pellets daily and supplement with frozen and nori. The Eheim feeders are great and I use two of them, but they never hold enough pellets. I'm hoping this feeder will do the trick. Once it gets in, I'm going to try and create a feeder tube so the pellets don't drift into the overflow.

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

As far as how the tanks been holding up, I'm on 3.5 years and everything seems to be like the day I built the tank. Its WAY overbuilt, but it lets me sleep at night. If you go back to the first month, I had a small leak due in the front glass due to not mixing the epoxy well enough. I constantly check this area but I've not seen anything out of the ordinary, So I assume we are good!
That's awesome to hear, I'm glad you haven't seen any structural changes! I think over building is definitely the way to go so you don't have any worries about how it will hold up.

Also if you're looking to have some sort of automatic feeding (outside of pellets) you should check out smidys reef. He just updated about a thawed frozen food feeder he added to his aquarium that works pretty slick!

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome to hear, I'm glad you haven't seen any structural changes! I think over building is definitely the way to go so you don't have any worries about how it will hold up.

Also if you're looking to have some sort of automatic feeding (outside of pellets) you should check out smidys reef. He just updated about a thawed frozen food feeder he added to his aquarium that works pretty slick!

I have thought long and hard about a frozen feeder. If I ever took a job that required traveling, I may consider it. Fortunately, I work from home and feeding frozen is something my kids enjoy doing as part of the nightly routine.

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After speaking with @dca22anderson, I have purchased a new automatic feeder. I've been one to feed pellets daily and supplement with frozen and nori. The Eheim feeders are great and I use two of them, but they never hold enough pellets. I'm hoping this feeder will do the trick. Once it gets in, I'm going to try and create a feeder tube so the pellets don't drift into the overflow.

I think you will love it!

Works best with the same sized pellets. The bigger the pellet the more accurate the feeding.

Also there is a ton of adjustment you can do to dial it right in to your needs. ;)

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will love it!

Works best with the same sized pellets. The bigger the pellet the more accurate the feeding.

Also there is a ton of adjustment you can do to dial it right in to your needs. ;)
Do you remember what pellets/Pellet size you used? I usually use the New Life Spectrum 1mm for the majority of my feedings and sometimes throw in the 3mm for the bigger fish.

OP
OP
atomic081

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bi-Yearly Maintenance time!

I have a few updates also!

I got the fish feeder installed this weekend. I had problems originally with the food being too small, but after some tweaking it seems to be working fine. Thanks @dca22anderson for the help!

IMG_3017.jpg

We are now a 2 Skimmer family! I have gone back and forth between 3 skimmer for the last year and I think this is my long term solution. I made a shelf on the side of the tank and Im now running the 2 smaller skimmers instead of the one bigger one. This is more to keep my PH up than it is to have 2 skimmers running. Ill probably run one dry and one wet.

IMG_3031.jpg

Lastly, I did a cleanout and refill of my calcium reactor last night. Unfortunately in the cleaning process, the Milwaukee PH controller messed up and the readings are WAY off. So I calibrated the 2nd PH probe into my Apex and it is now running the CO2 Solenoid. I had planned on trying this anyway because I like the txt notification that the PH in my reactor is high, Thus telling me when I'm out of CO2! Its happened a few times and I didn't catch it once until my ALK had plummeted.

Its almost time to start selling corals again! So im gonna cut a few frags this week to be well stocked over the winter.

mrbh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking great! i met you at the CINCY swap. and bought some corals from you. all the frags i got from you are doing great. I showed you pics of my setup (the bar height tank with the 4 Halides) . so with that said what other frags are sitting around lol?

super nice guy BTW will vouch for his frags.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back