Attaching Leather Corals?

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a green capnella leather coral that has been dropping a few branches every couple of weeks. However, I cannot get them to attach to the rocks or frag plugs in my tank. I've tried drying them off and gluing them but that seems to kill the coral. I've also tried tying them to the frag plug with rubber bands, but that seems to split them in half leaving me with two smaller branches that are even harder to find when they fall off. Out of the dozen branches that have dropped so far, I was only able to get four of them to attach, and the others either died or are currently floating around the tank. Can anyone give me some advice for attaching them?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only a 20 cube. I don't have a ton of space to work with but I guess that might work.
They're pretty hard to glue and some melt when you flue them. Some people attach them to rocks with twine to grow on, but by FAR the best way to do it is with a small container in a low flow area. Doesn't need to be huge

OP
OP
Z

Zakary2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're pretty hard to glue and some melt when you flue them. Some people attach them to rocks with twine to grow on, but by FAR the best way to do it is with a small container in a low flow area. Doesn't need to be huge
Do you think a deli cup with some holes for flow would work?

Fishgeek88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I always used hypodermic needles. Get a piece of tufa rock or some type of soft rock. Break it into small chunks. Cut a rubberband into squares and slide that on before the coral.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights were already off this evening, I turned them back on for this pic, so the coral is a bit deflated. But if your leather is anything like my Green Nephthea, I was able to secure a cutting to a piece of rubble with dental floss. I used waxed and the non-mint kind. I tried rubber bands, but they were too tight and cut through the coral flesh. The dental floss seems to be working for me, it's been a little over a week now. I expect by three weeks it will be solidly adhered.

IMG_0216.jpeg

Good luck!

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My tank is only a 20 cube. I don't have a ton of space to work with but I guess that might work.

It will 100% work. After you place it in a low flow area with some substrate to attach to check it in a few days and it should be good to go, firmly attached to something that can then be glued down anywhere you want it.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't glue softies, that will cut off circulation and cause necrosis, get a small cup/basket with small holes for flow, add some pieces of rubble to the bottom and add the piece, they should attach in a week or so

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back