Attaching Rock to HDPE aka Starboard

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am rebooting my Red Sea Reefer 450 anemone dominant mixed reef to a bare bottom SPS dominant system. I've got a piece of 1/2" black starboard on it's way and will be getting 120lbs of TFL Stax rocks once my supplier can get it from wholesale. I also ordered some E-Marco 400 cement and a frag top flat pedestal from Marco Rocks. I got some black silicone to seal the edge where the starboard meets the glass.

I am pretty aware that adhesives don't really attach to HDPE, so I am trying to work out some options for securing my rocks, especially the pedestal without the use of sand. I've considered using nylon screws or even frag plugs to try to attach some pieces into the HDPE.

Any advice? I'd love to hear some success stories!

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nulon screws will snap easily. Go to your big box store and buy these. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blazer-...-Round-Fiberglass-Rod-Orange-381ODM/202498049. Remove the reflector portion and then drill your starboard just under the diameter of the rods. Cut to length before. Cram them into the starboard (friction fit) and drill the rock the same diameter or so of the rod. Set the rock on the rod and your good to go. Don't rely on just one rod per rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back