Aussie Torch ID?

Stellar Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could anyone ID this torch for me and an estimated head value? Thank you!
20210621_133958.jpg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think they just go by aussie gold torch, not sure but i think the indos are the more named torches. dont know about prices anymore but i was offered a head 2 years ago for $70 (lol that aint happening anymore)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Knicks style Aussie gold.

There are a lot of these coming in right now and a huge variation of asking prices. I've seen 150/head locally and still sitting on shelves, others think they are worth 300/ head.

Edit hours later:

After looking at it a few times, I'm not convinced it's Aussie. The tips seen to have a lot larger diameter than the arms which leads me to think that.

Last edited:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i thought knicks was indo like dragon souls, again not really a torch collector though

View Badges
That’s clearly a big papa pump Aussie golden torch.

I haven’t seen one in a while, must be a private reserve. They’re generally like $3333 a head.

maybe some day / sigh

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches in general are demanding premium pricing over most other Euphyllia and golds demanding the highest prices especially the 24k. That being said most golds go for around $250+ a head here in the NY metro area and the 24K getting at least 3-4 times that amount. Unless you know the linage from the coral farmer its an Aussi gold. Hard to tell from your pic, but I see a few heads and here it would worth over 1k. Nice piece!!

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with MIKE NY.
I'm a torch guy and that looks more like an Indo gold/NY knicks type than anything Aussie. The tentacles are not as thick as Aussie and the gold is not as vibrant. I have both in my tanks and I will tell you, there is a clear difference between Aussie and Indo when it comes to the thickness of the tentacles and the color of the gold. Now, that's under my lighting and set up...
Here are a couple pics of both next to each other and you can see Aussie vs. Indo.
The top pic (DT), dead center is an Aussie gold, the one directly below it and to the left of it are Indo golds that have different tips, one yellow and one more green.
In the lower pic, the gold with blue tips on the left front is another Aussie gold, the ones to the right past the octospawn are more Indo golds.
I'm betting the one you are looking at is an Indo gold/NY knicks type... Gorgeous specimen!!!

Per head, I'd guess around $150-200. I don't purchase torches from LFS anymore, but I do know that my local LFS is selling them at $400/head. It looks like that colony in your pic has 4-5 heads, so probably around $1k is what I would expect, and likely more if coming from LFS.
Hope this helps.

IMG-1256.jpg unnamed.jpg

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do have a strong sting. They play nice with other torches, but my Jedi mind trick above it was taken a beaten and I had to cut it back

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree with you, but unfortunately that’s the nature of the hobby...it can be really expensive. Fortunately I’ve made alot of friends online and through my reef club. We buy/ trade corals, fish and equipment between ourselves which makes the hobby more affordable. That being said I just traded about half my frag tank for the WWC gold torch I mentioned in an earlier post....but it would have sold for over $700.

OP
OP
Stellar Aquatics

Stellar Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for all the helpful replies everybody! Some input on the pricing and names. Yes it does get kind of out of hand, especially when morphing and so many other variables contribute to the way these animals look and evolve. Having more than one name for identical pieces seems a little extra too. But part of me doesn't mind saving for/spending money on the higher ticket pieces that no one else has. Just most animal related and other hobbies; reptiles, dogs, ect. Rarity holds value both to the buyer and the overall market. Just my opinion! Thanks again guys! Just like he said above, this is my other pretty expensive purchase! And I'm thankful and happy to take care of it.beautiful tanks guys!
20210613_180002.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back