Auto Top Off - Help!!

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm away on vacation and have my Aqua Smart ATO on WiFi electric plug among other devices. It looks like I had a power outage for 12 hours.

The tank likely evaporated somewhat and when the power came back on after 12 hours would the ATO fill back to the level of the bottom sensor?

Do ATOs have a memory such that it remembers the amount of time it takes to fill to the appropriate water level in the event of a power failure over a certain time such as in my case and water evaporates.

Or another way to say this is what happens if you set up a new ATO system with the optical water sensor not in the water....would the pump start and attempt to fill the reservoir until the water level reaches the sensor and then stops?

I'm in a bit of panic now.

Thanks

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When power returned, An ATO should turn on the pump and fill back to the sensor, thus putting salinity, back to what it was when the power was lost.

I don’t know of any that measure power out times.

Some have a secondary sensor, either mechanical or optical, set higher, so this would stop an overfill, Some have a timer safety which limits continuous fills, but, the system should catch up over time IMM.

I’d think your OK.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ATO should turn on the pump and fill back to the sensor, thus putting salinity, back to what it was when the power was lost.

Some have a safety which limits continuous fills, but, the system should catch up over time.
Thank you. So in my case there are 2 sensors. The lower one, which is the water level that the pump turns on to fill to, and an upper sensor that ensures that the pump shuts off if the pump continues to pump and reaches and passes this sensor and forcing a pump shutoff.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. So in my case there are 2 sensors. The lower one, which is the water level that the pump turns on to fill to, and an upper sensor that ensures that the pump shuts off if the pump continues to pump and reaches and passes this sensor and forcing a pump shutoff.
Me to.
I’d expect your pump to fill to the first sensor, putting everything back to normal.

You can always shutdown power for a minute, then restart, so if there is any time limit, it would be reset.

Manufacturer mentions nothing about a max time delay.

Maybe tunze has that, but not sure.

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same ATO, it works fine after wifi or power out.
Its a good ATO, I've had it almost 2 years now, never had an issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back