Auto water change setup question

AlexReef100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to be setting up a new 225 gallon reef tank in my basement. Its currently unfinished at the moment so I have the option to plumb any sort of drainage systems I want into the walls before the drywall is hung.

I've been researching automatic water change setups and I've been bouncing back and forth between 2 different setups. First setup, I run some pvc pipe up thru the wall and tap into the nearest drain pipe, then when I setup my system I just put a T-junction with a gate valve and all I have to do is open the valve and my return pump dumps the water down the drain. I plan on having a 60 Gallon vat of pre made RO salt water, so I'll more than likely just run a hose and refill manually. The second option is going with the Apex DOS system and using it to do 2% water changes multiple times a week. Using this method would remove the need for extra plumbing in the walls and since those pumps have a decent amount of head height, I can run the thin tubing to anywhere I need with no issues.

Do any of you guys have any input on which setup would be best?

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with the apex DOS route. Its just better to do a slow gradual water change.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be doing mine via dos very soon. Have some plumbing obstacles to overcome to get lines to and from my tank first.

Back