Automatic daily water change guys. Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Michael43
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I suppose I was vague in my comment, but I am not sure how I could do an automatic/daily water change in my current setup without the use of a controller programmed to do all that for me.

couldn't you use two peristaltic dosing pumps (like BRS') so that one removes 1 ml from the tank/sump while the other puts 1 ml of new water in (continuously throughout the day)?
I believe Randy was suggesting something along those lines.
 
Yes it is incredibly easy and zero calibration. I used to use the spectrapure liter meter and I felt I constantly had to recalibrate it. This automatically does exactly one gallon. I drain mine into the drain downstairs which I was told was fine from a plumber since its constantly rinsed by freshwater coming from the faucets ect.
 
couldn't you use two peristaltic dosing pumps (like BRS') so that one removes 1 ml from the tank/sump while the other puts 1 ml of new water in (continuously throughout the day)?
I believe Randy was suggesting something along those lines.

Imo to much room for error. You would probably want to calibrate constantly to ensure its doing the same amount per min
 
couldn't you use two peristaltic dosing pumps (like BRS') so that one removes 1 ml from the tank/sump while the other puts 1 ml of new water in (continuously throughout the day)?
I believe Randy was suggesting something along those lines.


Yes, although I used a single dual head pump (Ref Filler, but it is noisy).

Exact calibration isn't necessary, but with a diaphragm pump it is easy to adjust the flow independently.

In fact, when i wanted to adjust salinity, I intentionally misadjusted them to add more than taken out, or add less than taken out. it is a very slow, safe, and gentle way to adjust salinity.
 
Here is the DIY water change pump I setup. There are two pumps connected, that will move the same volume of water. One pumps out water from the beginning of the sump, and the other pumps new salt water in to the sump further down the sump's flow. No question that this setup makes a bit of noise but where I will be installing it, it does not bother me much.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kz7tm35vmja3vfn/Automatic Waterchange pump.jpg
 
I use a two headed Stenner pump to accomplish a 2 gallon per night change. Got to watch salinity but I have very little issue with that. Stenner pulls old water from the sump and replaces new water into the display simultaneously . I occasionally supplement with a good old fashioned 20 to 30 gallon water change now and then.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new