Automatic Feeders

Black Clover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time leaving my 55 gallon salt water tank for 10 days. I got lots of inverts with only 2 clown fish. I've been feeding frozen brine shrimp. Any suggestions of what I can do apart from getting someone to come feed them? Are automatic feeders recommended? What should I feed them?

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed to be concerned with your ATO.
If you do go autofeeder route, I would give them a test run while you're at home.
My tank uses filter floss and after a few days, due to mainly dehydrated food being dumped, it will clog up quicker than when feeding fresh. I have a good idea of how long I can leave it/how much to feed daily to ensure everyone stays fat and happy, and not have an overflow or empty ATO.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto feeders do work. Use the ring as recommended above. Start practicing well before the trip. Make sure the food is accepted by the fish. Try appropriately sized pellets. Make sure the food is staying in the tank and not just going down the overflow. Less is more here. Better the fish are hungry than poisoned by an ammonia spike caused by decaying leftover food. Pay attention to your ATO and make sure you won't run dry. Maybe even invest in a video baby monitor that you can log into from your phone. Have someone on standby just in case.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. I feel stupid cause I do t know what the Auto Top Off (ATO) is?
Not stupid! That's what this forum is for, to learn. ATO, Auto Top Off, add freshwater as stated previously. It uses RODI water and replaces the water that is evaporated as stated. We use RODI as the salt remains behind and we want to keep constant salinity levels.
They typically are controlled by a system that measures water level, either via float switch, optical sensor etc. When the water level drops, it kicks on, dumps in fresh until it is back up to level, then shuts off.

OP
OP
Black Clover

Black Clover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not stupid! That's what this forum is for, to learn. ATO, Auto Top Off, add freshwater as stated previously. It uses RODI water and replaces the water that is evaporated as stated. We use RODI as the salt remains behind and we want to keep constant salinity levels.
They typically are controlled by a system that measures water level, either via float switch, optical sensor etc. When the water level drops, it kicks on, dumps in fresh until it is back up to level, then shuts off.
Thanks JTP. Will definitely have to look into this for the future. For now I am still doing water changes every week to control Nitrates for the inverts. It's 3 month old 55 gallon aquarium, with no corals. I have 2 Fluval C4's and that's about it. No skimmer, no fan, no canister.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks JTP. Will definitely have to look into this for the future. For now I am still doing water changes every week to control Nitrates for the inverts. It's 3 month old 55 gallon aquarium, with no corals. I have 2 Fluval C4's and that's about it. No skimmer, no fan, no canister.
Gotcha. Keep an eye on your salinity. Without adding straight fresh, you may be inadvertently slowly rising the salinity, barely, but it may be creeping up.

OP
OP
Black Clover

Black Clover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Keep an eye on your salinity. Without adding straight fresh, you may be inadvertently slowly rising the salinity, barely, but it may be creeping up.
You're right. I have noticed that. Will definitely be keeping on eye out. Thanks again!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to maintain your water volume which evaporates over time by replenishing with fresh water daily. If you let it evaporate between water changes, then refill back to max level, your salinity is going to drift over time. An ATO tops off automatically. In lieu of that, a daily manual top off is recommended.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back