Avoiding Dinoflagellates

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading countless horror stories of people fighting dino's for months and years I want to give myself the best chance to avoid them completely. I've spent the last 9 months building my basement sump room and getting everything ready. This weekend I will start to cycle the tank. I'm starting with dry rock and dry sand. This is my plan of attack. Let me know if you see any potential issues with this plan.
  • Start with lights, UV sterilizer, and skimmer off, and no filter socks.
  • Dose 1 mL of Nitrocycle per gallon of tank water to achieve an ammonia level of 3ppm.
  • Dose 1 oz. (29 ml) TurboStart 900 per 25 gallons.
  • Soak a Genesis Rock in PNS Substrate Sauce and add to sump.
  • Test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate daily.
  • Once aquarium has cycled do a water change if needed and add two clownfish.
  • Test nitrate and phosphate every 2 to 4 days.
  • One week after clownfish are introduced begin dosing AF Life Source mud (20mL of aquarium water and 10ml per of AF Life Source for every 27 gallons) and add AF Life Bio Fil Medium to sump (1000mL of Life Bio Fil for every 105 gallons). Replace 10-20% of the media every 6 weeks.
  • Two weeks after clownfish are introduced add some snails, 4 jars of 5280 Pods and dose Oceanmagik live phyto.
  • Two weeks after clownfish are introduced turn on UV sterilizer, skimmer, and add filter socks.
  • Continue testing nitrate and phosphate every 2 to 4 days. If nitrate and/or phosphate gets too low add more bio load (fish), feed heavier, run skimmer for fewer hours per day and/or dose NeoNitro and/or NeoPhos. If nitrate and phosphate get too high dose MicroBacter7 (5 ml per 50 gallons) and/or do water change.
  • Six to eight weeks after clownfish are introduced turn on lights.

20220815_173513.jpg

20220802_071914.jpg

If you want to see how this plan works out for me consider following my build thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/codys-153-gallon-ctc-custom-build-with-basement-sump-room.915426/

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sounds like you got this. I love the build and the planning. You are on a great road to success in my opinion. Best of luck :)

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a good plan and sounds like you did your research. But honestly tho, don't worry too much about dinos - you will get it eventually - there is no "dino proof" set up.

It also won't be as bad as the horror stories you read. Remember there is something called "review bias" where only people who have really good or bad things to say typically leave only reviews. Similar concept in these forums - only people who have really bad experiences post on the forum to ask for help. A lot of people successfully deals with dinos uneventfully so they dont post anything in the forums. Your actual experience with dinos is much more likely to fall within this group than the statistically small sample that post their horror stories, esp given how you seem to be diligent with your research and planning.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading countless horror stories of people fighting dino's for months and years I want to give myself the best chance to avoid them completely. I've spent the last 9 months building my basement sump room and getting everything ready. This weekend I will start to cycle the tank. I'm starting with dry rock and dry sand. This is my plan of attack. Let me know if you see any potential issues with this plan.
  • Dose 1 mL of Nitrocycle per gallon of tank water to achieve an ammonia level of 3ppm.
  • One week after clownfish are introduced begin dosing AF Life Source mud (20mL of aquarium water and 10ml per of AF Life Source for every 27 gallons) and add AF Life Bio Fil Medium to sump (1000mL of Life Bio Fil for every 105 gallons). Replace 10-20% of the media every 6 weeks.
  • Two weeks after clownfish are introduced add some snails, 4 jars of 5280 Pods and dose Oceanmagik live phyto.
  • Two weeks after clownfish are introduced turn on UV sterilizer, skimmer, and add filter socks.
  • Continue testing nitrate and phosphate every 2 to 4 days. If nitrate and/or phosphate gets too low add more bio load (fish), feed heavier, run skimmer for fewer hours per day and/or dose NeoNitro and/or NeoPhos. If nitrate and phosphate get too high dose MicroBacter7 (5 ml per 50 gallons) and/or do water change.

20220815_173513.jpg

20220802_071914.jpg

If you want to see how this plan works out for me consider following my build thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/codys-153-gallon-ctc-custom-build-with-basement-sump-room.915426/
Check out Lasse‘s R2R article on the 15 steps for setting up an aquarium

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a good plan and sounds like you did your research. But honestly tho, don't worry too much about dinos - you will get it eventually - there is no "dino proof" set up.

It also won't be as bad as the horror stories you read. Remember there is something called "review bias" where only people who have really good or bad things to say typically leave only reviews. Similar concept in these forums - only people who have really bad experiences post on the forum to ask for help. A lot of people successfully deals with dinos uneventfully so they dont post anything in the forums. Your actual experience with dinos is much more likely to fall within this group than the statistically small sample that post their horror stories, esp given how you seem to be diligent with your research and planning.
That is very good to hear and very encouraging.Thanks!

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if I would do lights out completely. Maybe 25% lights on, something low, start to form a day/night cycle so the fish aren't stressed and confused. That's what I did and ended up with diatoms instead of dinos and I make sure I don't bottom out my nutrients by a little bit of over feeding and running my skimmer 8 hours on, 8 hours off.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking build. Looking forward to following your build thread. AF's plan for establishing a tank seems to work well from the pictures in the Facebook Group that I follow. Does their plan require that the nitrogen cycle be established by running the ammonia so high?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started two tanks the same year. One had dinos, the other one didn’t. The only difference (besides size) was one did not have a skimmer and that’s the one that never got any dinos. It had diatoms for a very short period, that’s it. Both tanks had dry rock and dry sand. The one with dinos had live rock from the other tank.

If I had to do it all over again, I would wait at least 6-8 months before adding a skimmer, and then I wouldn’t use it 24/7.

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking build. Looking forward to following your build thread. AF's plan for establishing a tank seems to work well from the pictures in the Facebook Group that I follow. Does their plan require that the nitrogen cycle be established by running the ammonia so high?
Thank you! So I am kind of mixing products. The 3ppm ammonia is the recommendation of the Algae Barn nitrocycle + fritz turbostart method not the AF method. I am just planning to use the AF life source mud and bio fil media because its recommended by the BRS biome videos.

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started two tanks the same year. One had dinos, the other one didn’t. The only difference (besides size) was one did not have a skimmer and that’s the one that never got any dinos. It had diatoms for a very short period, that’s it. Both tanks had dry rock and dry sand. The one with dinos had live rock from the other tank.

If I had to do it all over again, I would wait at least 6-8 months before adding a skimmer, and then I wouldn’t use it 24/7.
Wow 6-8 months! Do you think you got dinos in the tank with the skimmer bc the skimmer stripped the nutrients too low?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! So I am kind of mixing products. The 3ppm ammonia is the recommendation of the Algae Barn nitrocycle + fritz turbostart method not the AF method. I am just planning to use the AF life source mud and bio fil media because its recommended by the BRS biome videos.
Cool. I'm looking forward to watching the progress on your build thread.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 6-8 months! Do you think you got dinos in the tank with the skimmer bc the skimmer stripped the nutrients too low?
Yes, I do. I mean I’m not experienced, these are my first tanks, but I believe my tank was too sterile. I have a low bioload, I was careful not to feed to much, cleaned all my equipment regularly, etc.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things.
1. Testing po4 every 2-4 days. My tank is over a year old and I’m still having to test daily. Dry rock soaks up a TON of po4, so get ready.
2. Keep skimmer and filter socks offline. It will be a long time until your actually need it. You actually WANT detritus in your tank, at least initially, as your pods will need it.
3. Using food to raise po4 and no3 accelerates dino growth. Dose po4 and no3 directly (not from foods). And dear god… stay away from Reef Roids!

Edit: Also, don’t waste money on 4 copepod jars. One will be more than enough.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

20220815_173513.jpg

20220802_071914.jpg

Light is a food source for dino as is running the tank too clean for which nitrate and phosphate are at or near zero. Create a balance as if no3 and po4 gets high, then you contend with cyano

OP
OP
ReefDreamz

ReefDreamz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things.
1. Testing po4 every 2-4 days. My tank is over a year old and I’m still having to test daily. Dry rock soaks up a TON of po4, so get ready.
2. Keep skimmer and filter socks offline. It will be a long time until your actually need it. You actually WANT detritus in your tank, at least initially, as your pods will need it.
3. Using food to raise po4 and no3 accelerates dino growth. Dose po4 and no3 directly (not from foods). And dear god… stay away from Reef Roids!

Edit: Also, don’t waste money on 4 copepod jars. One will be more than enough.
I was told by some that dry rock actually leeches PO4 in a new tank as opposed to absorbing it. Not sure what to believe although I have been dosing NeoPhos and testing PO4 and dosing isn't raising the PO4 level. It's staying at 0.00-0.01 every test.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 87 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back