AWC Intervals

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those who implement automatic water changes, what type of intervals do you run? I.e., if you change 1 gallon a day, do you have it changed all in one go, split up to change every hour, twice a day, etc? Just trying to plan a system out and wondering what works best for everyone.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I run it so it changes out water 24/7 365 using a DOS to set the interval. Just tell it to change 2.3 gallons over a 24 hour window

OP
OP
Boxofpurplerocks

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It turns on and off , the more you ask it to change the more it runs. Apex sets the run times based on volume
Got it. That’s what I’m trying to decide; whether I want to spread my daily water change amount over 24 hours, or have it done in just one or a few intervals each day.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. That’s what I’m trying to decide; whether I want to spread my daily water change amount over 24 hours, or have it done in just one or a few intervals each day.

I went with small changes really for the fact I can catch something if it went wrong, especially because I travel.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an AWC once every 6 weeks over a 24 hour period to change 15% in my tanks (65g & 130g). All Apex and DOS based. This means I just add salt to the SW reservoir once at the start of the process, kick off the mixing and when done check salinity is correct. I then set the AWC off. I have a DOS unit for each tank drawing from the same SW reservoir. Fully automated but not continuous.

I may move to a more continuous system later but for now this is working well for my tanks. It also means I don’t have the SW sitting for a long time mixed waiting for the AWC to use it up.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re not trying to achieve some very specific purpose once a day vs a continuous schedule probably won’t make much difference as the total volume changed per 24h won’t be any any large quantities. I would do what works best for you.
I run my AWC once a day, changing about 1% for what it’s worth.

OP
OP
Boxofpurplerocks

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an AWC once every 6 weeks over a 24 hour period to change 15% in my tanks (65g & 130g). All Apex and DOS based. This means I just add salt to the SW reservoir once at the start of the process, kick off the mixing and when done check salinity is correct. I then set the AWC off. I have a DOS unit for each tank drawing from the same SW reservoir. Fully automated but not continuous.

I may move to a more continuous system later but for now this is working well for my tanks. It also means I don’t have the SW sitting for a long time mixed waiting for the AWC to use it up.
That makes sense. I’m looking to implement a more continuous system that will introduce very little, if any, parameter swings on the system, otherwise I would probably just go that route.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my AWC set to only run once per day and it changes close to 2 gallons within an hour and a half on my 125. I agree that it probably doesn't make much difference which way you decide to do it.
I went with small changes really for the fact I can catch something if it went wrong, especially because I travel.
Ironically I did one change a day so that I could hopefully catch any problem if there ever is one. Mine runs in the evening after work when I am normally in the living room watching TV near the tank.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my AWC set to only run once per day and it changes close to 2 gallons within an hour and a half on my 125. I agree that it probably doesn't make much difference which way you decide to do it.

Ironically I did one change a day so that I could hopefully catch any problem if there ever is one. Mine runs in the evening after work when I am normally in the living room watching TV near the tank.

I just prefer it as I'm not home to see the tank for 1-2 weeks at a time, I can see any drifting in salinity, alk, etc. More than one way to get the same end result, just my preference.

walloutlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Neptune DOS AWC -- 1 gallon over 24 hours (aka every day) on my 65ga (total water volume), which equates to about 1.5% daily.

Over the course of a week, the system will change out 7 gallons for me which would be around 10%. Keep in mind that you will remove some of the "new" water so it doesn't come out exactly as a full 10% in this example.

The objectives for me where:
- reduce maintenance for myself
- anecdotally continuous water change is easier on major swings in elements
- additional method of export

I also do a larger periodic water change (about 16 gallons) about every 6 weeks. For my system I find that everything enjoys the fresh water. Except for the algae! LOL! I also have a salt mix that is fairly close to the parameters I keep in my tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back