Awc pumps

HouseofStark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to setup a AWC on my reef tank. Ran 3 50ft 1/4” lines from tank to station. Now need to figure out the pumps.

Ideally I would like to run them through my Neptune Apex, since I have everything connected tank wise to it. But everyone complains DOS is too noisy.

So AWC pumps I was considering were:

DOS

Ecotech Versa

LiterMeter

GHL Maxi

Suggestions needed, haven’t researched all of them yep but litermeter seem to be bulletproof but spendy.

dos cheap but noisy

don’t know much about ghl and Vera’s, besides some videos of guy running them.

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking to setup a AWC on my reef tank. Ran 3 50ft 1/4” lines from tank to station. Now need to figure out the pumps.

Ideally I would like to run them through my Neptune Apex, since I have everything connected tank wise to it. But everyone complains DOS is too noisy.

So AWC pumps I was considering were:

DOS

Ecotech Versa

LiterMeter

GHL Maxi

Suggestions needed, haven’t researched all of them yep but litermeter seem to be bulletproof but spendy.

dos cheap but noisy

don’t know much about ghl and Vera’s, besides some videos of guy running them.
Have Litermeter setup online for 3 years now. Only clean rollers 2/year and replace tubing every other year. Rock solid! Expensive but buy it once and be done.

seant2h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have and use an Apex then I’d just get a DOS if I were you.

I use a DOS and when I set it up I had the water changes happen when I could hear it and could check that everything worked ok and had no leaks. After about a week I was comfortable with it and switched it to perform the water changes at 1-2am and now I never hear them.

OP
OP
H

HouseofStark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any place to purchase a litermeter4? Looks like it’s out of stock from spectrapure.

Looks like I would need a LiterMeter 4 starter kit plus a 2nd pump? Is there any housing the pumps are placed in?

@seant2h Ya I’m all apex and have a dos already for my all for reef daily dos. So that was my first thought. Just seeing if there was other options. Might stick it in drawl space and run at night if that’s the case.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a DOS with my Apex for AWC. Is it loud? Yes, but I also run it max 6pm to 10pm in order to change out 5g per day. I have ran it like this for about a year and just changed the heads Saturday. Very reliable, never let me down.

OP
OP
H

HouseofStark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didnt realize the Litermeter were so hard to come by even find. I cant find anything for sale....how long have they been out for?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mounted the DOS in my garage near my mixing station and put a layer of thin foam rubber between the DOS and the wall to dampen the sound from resonating through the wall. It’s about 30 feet of tubing to my tank in the living room. I can barely hear it running from inside the house.

97B6A569-FEC5-4118-B8A4-95DF24018D62.jpeg

If you decide to use the DOS, be sure to read my recommendation on setting up AWC here:

OP
OP
H

HouseofStark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info as always John. Couple of follow ups....... Do you have any suggestion or resource on the foam rubber you installed on it? In MN so I have RODI unit in basement laundry (out of site/easy water access). Ran the output to the storage bins directly above the unit onto the "tank floor" Since I was doing pails and large volume changes, didn't want to deal with stairs. My plan is to install AWC pumps back in laundry room due to "noise" and run them during over night. I want DOS because I have all apex, including 2 part DOS, but Ive never heard or seen them run at full speed. Ive seen some Litermeters and impressed with quiet, fast and volume speed it can move water. What did you use for downtube into the fresh and saltwater tanks for pick up? Rigid or 1/4" tubing with weight?

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons per day you looking to change? I have my DOS doing 1gpd throughout the day and it’s tolerable even being in the basement directly under my bedroom in a 100 year old house. More than a gallon per day it was too loud, however I never messed with running it at specific times like when I’m not home.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have Litermeter setup online for 3 years now. Only clean rollers 2/year and replace tubing every other year. Rock solid! Expensive but buy it once and be done.
That wasn’t the case for me. It gave me very inconsistent readings. The controller is very complicated to use. Quite expensive for what you get, especially when you look at the annual tubing replacement cost. I sent it back for a refund after months of trouble shooting. Maybe the Litermeter 4 isn’t as sound as the 3rd. Just my experience.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info as always John. Couple of follow ups....... Do you have any suggestion or resource on the foam rubber you installed on it? In MN so I have RODI unit in basement laundry (out of site/easy water access). Ran the output to the storage bins directly above the unit onto the "tank floor" Since I was doing pails and large volume changes, didn't want to deal with stairs. My plan is to install AWC pumps back in laundry room due to "noise" and run them during over night. I want DOS because I have all apex, including 2 part DOS, but Ive never heard or seen them run at full speed. Ive seen some Litermeters and impressed with quiet, fast and volume speed it can move water. What did you use for downtube into the fresh and saltwater tanks for pick up? Rigid or 1/4" tubing with weight?
The foam rubber I used was just from some packaging I had on hand. Anything will do.

I used 1/4” RO/DI tubing and weigh it down with a scrap piece of PVC pipe.

As for the DOS noise level, I created this video that demonstrates the DOS running at each of its six speeds:

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DOS changes 5g per day between 6pm and 10pm, max speed off and on, it's loud, but could be worse. Has been just about a year and only replaced the heads last Saturday.

OP
OP
H

HouseofStark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again John!! Great example. Ya defiantly makes some noise. I have a 90 gal mixed reef. What is the suggested daily dose? 1gal a day?

seant2h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this online calculator to find my daily change amount to yield 40% new water per month.

Back