AZ FRAG Nov Meeting: 11/16 @ 3PM

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Join us for our November meeting!

This meeting we'll be hosted by the Broken Yolk in Mesa, and we'll be hosting a guest speaker, Skylar Snowden.

Skylar Snowden, Bachelors in Biology:​
I am a beach kid through and through. Originally from Virginia Beach, VA, I grew up surfing nearly every day of my life. With that being said, my life has always been very closely associated with the ocean. I spent 5 years in the US Coast Guard stationed in both Key West and Los Angeles. All the while fostering my love of the sea. I knew very early in life that I wanted to be a Marine Biologist, and when I exited the Coast Guard, I finished my biology degree. I have had tanks all of my life since I was a child. In the 90s, when I lived in LA, I started working part time for a business that set up and maintained tanks for offices and super rich people. I ended up living in Pittsburgh which is where my ex is from. I was hired on at the Carnegie Science Center to take care of their coral reef ecosystem. Since then, I have worked at the Aquarium at Moody Gardens in Galveston, the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium, Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada, and now SeaLife Arizona. For the last 11 years or so, I have been doing fieldwork every year helping to teach others how to sexually reproduce corals. I have now done fieldwork in Mexico, Puerto Rico, Curacao, and Guam. One highlight of my career was having the privilege of seeing the reefs of Palau.​
And Skylar will be presenting:
Coral Reproduction: What we Think We know……. An overview of the life of a coral with emphasis on reproduction and how some of it can be easily facilitated in hobbyist aquariums. Broadcast spawners vs brooders vs asexual reproduction​

We'll have a small raffle as well as our usual coral auction at the end, if anyone wishes to auction frags of their own.

For the auction, please be a member in good standing prior to 2:30PM. Your bidder numbers are assigned when you register; email me if you need a reminder of your bidder number ([email protected]).

This meeting DOES require club dues. Sign up here if you have not registered for 2019: http://www.azfragclub.com/membership

2034 E Southern Ave
Mesa, AZ 85204

When:
Nov 16th 3:00pm to 5:00pm

SELLERS……Please list your Bidder number and up to 15 corals for the auction with the starting bid. Pictures are encouraged. You have until the Thursday night (Nov 14th) before the auction at 9pm to list. Please have your corals available for the 2:30 viewing.

There might be some PROP frags available; they'll be listed below if we have any.

Please NO posting a reserved spot. If you have your list and are waiting on pictures that is fine. Please also try not to add or change any items if possible. This is very helpful for us when putting the auction program together.

We look forward to another great meeting!

noonelikesadrytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate you guys purchasing my frags! It allows me to go out and continue to collect other frags to keep introducing new items in to the PROP/Frag group.

Bidder 749

Wowzer Paly $5
Devil’s Armor Zoa $5
Sunny D Zoa $10
Scramble Eggs Zoa $10
Armor of God Zoa $10
My Clementine Zoa $10
Utter Chaos Zoa $10
Alpha Omega Zoa $10
ASD Monster Fox $10
Sonic Flare Zoa $15
Purple Hearts Zoa $15
Blastomussa Merletti $15
Bizarro Cyphastrea $20
Rainbow Incinerator Zoa $35
Pluto’s Passion Zoa $40

Wowzers.JPG Devils Armor.JPG Scrambled Eggs.JPG Sunny D's.JPG Armor of God.JPG My Clementine.JPG Utter Chaos.JPG Alpha Omega.JPG ASD Monster Fox .JPG Sonic Flare.JPG Purple Hearts.JPG Blastomussa Merletti .JPG Bizarro Cyphastrea .JPG Rainbow Incenerator.JPG Pluto's Passion.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is Community Garage sale day where I live. Gotta move some stuff to help pay for my reefing stuff. If I get done early I might make it out. Have fun!

noonelikesadrytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks much to Hunter, Jason and the others for another great PROP meeting. Really like the topics and speakers lately. Some great deals on the auction frags today as well. Good day all around! JP
I second this! I’ve really enjoyed the presenters we’ve had this year! Thank you Hunter and Jason. We’re really lucky to have you guys!

noonelikesadrytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! You’re always welcome to come by after a meeting, or if you know there’s something you want, Ambers folks live in Tucson, so we head that way fairly regularly and could bring them with us.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back