AZMSGT build thread

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good with the update/mod to the pump. Hopefully it'll work well, though I can't really imagine it won't from how you've assembled it.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AZMSGT Have you decided to keep your Red Sea 625 tank? I saw a previous post where you suggested you wouldn't have another even if it was donated to you. Just curious where you stand on that front? Hope it's no bother. Inquiring minds need to know!

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AZMSGT Have you decided to keep your Red Sea 625 tank? I saw a previous post where you suggested you wouldn't have another even if it was donated to you. Just curious where you stand on that front? Hope it's no bother. Inquiring minds need to know!
I was committed to this tank well before Red Sea started having it’s troubles. Once I started using this tank I saw and found issues with the plumbing and the metric issues. I would prefer Imperial size pipe since that’s all we have in the USA. The stand is not what I would consider well designed. Like I say, knowing what I know now, I would likely order custom built tank.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough, I can appreciate all those concerns. The stand didn't exactly inspire confidence for myself either - sort of like Ikea furniture. Better quality wood, at least.

A friend of mine had a custom 220 built locally and it's super nice, but the silicone job is somewhat sloppy in some parts. Kind of subtracts from the overall aesthetic. I really like the quality of the glass and silicone that Red Sea has, but admittedly there's probably equal quality options out there.

Some people suggest Miracles Aquariums which are here in Canada - but they haven't updated their price list since 2016 so I dunno if they are still making tanks.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough, I can appreciate all those concerns. The stand didn't exactly inspire confidence for myself either - sort of like Ikea furniture. Better quality wood, at least.

A friend of mine had a custom 220 built locally and it's super nice, but the silicone job is somewhat sloppy in some parts. Kind of subtracts from the overall aesthetic. I really like the quality of the glass and silicone that Red Sea has, but admittedly there's probably equal quality options out there.

Some people suggest Miracles Aquariums which are here in Canada - but they haven't updated their price list since 2016 so I dunno if they are still making tanks.
They are making tanks, in fact I have a 460 gallon tank coming from them in a couple of weeks.

Great job on the AWC Ken!

vikinglord13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got caught up.

Admittedly I thought your username was in reference to Mazter Sergeant in the USMC and being stationed at Yuma, it's nice to see another AF vet on here!

It's good to know about the Red Sea quality. If I had the $$$ I would get a Crystal Dynamics tank.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
changed some rockwork around. Redid the right side so 1. it’s more stable, 2. More space for coral. The new section is easily removed and reinstalled as needed. Also the pictures don’t show it but the fish have more space to swim around that area.

Old rock work

New structure

New FTS

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good sir! We both went with a minimalist rock scape. There's times where I fear that I don't have enough rock, but I'm hopeful that the corals will eventually fill that in. Looks like you maybe have the same goals in mind as myself! Very reassuring.

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the manifold built and installed. I’m going to feed it with a dedicated pump. This way the return line gets it’s own pump. Also mounted the 40w UV to the side. It will circulate water within the sump.
The incoming fitting to the manifold is a 3/4” barb. The UV is also 3/4” Barbs.
The 1/2 barbs will feed an algae scrubber, carbon, gfo and what ever else.

Long term plan is to move the UV into a cabinet that will be next to the tank.
I mounted my 40W on the back of the tank. I gave myself about 7" off the wall and the UV fitted up against the back. It is hidden but accessible and i have clear view in the side of my tank. I could not get enough working room inside my RS stand to remove the bulb (yearly maintenance).

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mounted my 40W on the back of the tank. I gave myself about 7" off the wall and the UV fitted up against the back. It is hidden but accessible and i have clear view in the side of my tank. I could not get enough working room inside my RS stand to remove the bulb (yearly maintenance).
Little late for me to make any changes now :)

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any particular fish that helps graze on the diatoms?

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any particular fish that helps graze on the diatoms?
Tangs and Fox Face are the fish in my system that are the best grazers. But I have a Potters angel that is part lawn mower too. But the critters that do the best come out at night. Snails and lots of them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back