A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foreshadowing?
sigh, I want to be angry but at this point I just want to keep my livestock alive and get a replacement tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea and I have been in communication. Looks like I will see a replacement tank in mid November. In the mean time I am considering several options.

1. quit the hobby. No I’m not kidding. Having the tank failing is a major negative and has me really rethinking my level of commitment. We want to take a couple 10 day European trips and a fish tank makes that a tough call.
2. do a full reset and redo my aquascape to the way I really want it. This would allow me to get rid of some pests in my present system. Also it’s an additional $1k in aquascape materials
3. do a 1-2 day tank swap if mine holds together long enough. This would have me keeping everything as is... just a new tank.

Last edited:

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea and I have been in communication. Looks like I will see a replacement tank in mid November. In the mean time I am considering several options.

1. quit the hobby. No I’m not kidding. Having the tank failing is a major negative and has me really rethinking my level of commitment. We want to take a couple 10 day European trips and a fish tank makes that a tough call.
2. do a full reset and redo my aquascape to the way I really want it. This would allow me to get rid of some pests in my present system. Also it’s an additional $1k in aquascape materials
3. do a 1-2 day tank swap if mine holds together long enough. This would have me keeping everything as is... just a new tank.

In 2003 we had a massive brown out in New England that lasted 3 days. I was on vacation and didn't have a generator. I lost everything accept my anemone (can you believe that- H. Mags r tough!). I was thinking of getting out. I'm glad I did not - the pleasure I have had over the years has more than made up for the pain of that experience. You seem to really enjoy every aspect from photography to design to fish and corals so I feel like you are in the same boat as I was then.

Not that my vote should count for anything, but I vote 2, and start clean. Keep your corals in a Rubbermaid tub, build a new stand, and design the system so it can go 2 weeks with no input other than fish food. No matter what I'm terribly sorry to hear of this new frustration and wish you all the best going forward.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, from what Red Sea has been saying is that I will get an entirely new system. Stand, tank, sump.. the works. I know they did a major redesign on the 750, I guess they have elected to redesign all the systems. So in order to replace my tank, it needs a compatible stand to work with it. My old stand isn’t compatible.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, sorry about the setback. I hear your grief. At least Red Sea is responsive.

I am going to guess that European trip is going to be delayed a bit with all that is going on. I think this C19 thing is going to continue to hamper our activities for a while. When we were locked down last spring, I would have lost the rest of my marbles without the tanks to keep me focussed on something challenging.

So I am with Joe @2Sunny and vote #2. It is fun to reimagine a build. There are A LOT of things I would do differently in a restart.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option 1 is the obvious solution. I hear everything is going great in Europe these days, and you can give the corals to me :) Obviously I vote 2 also. I'm happy to help out in any way that I can including holding some of your corals for you if I can find space in my systems. Also on a serious note regarding vacations, you can count on me to be a tank sitter if you go somewhere for an extended period. I'm happy to visit the tank on a daily basis to feed and check things over.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided to keep on reefing. My friends are very persuasive and supportive.

So the plan is all my coral will be going. To @SawCJack00 s place for temp holding. I will house my fish in the 55g tank I already have. I ordered a HOB skimmer to help keep the fish healthy.

I have a bunch of new rock on the way and will start building a new aquascape. When it all arrives. Some of my old pieces will get added too.

Red Sea said the new tanks should be available in Mid November.. Hoping that is true and I’ll have my replacement by late Nov. trying to be optimistic.

All my sump rock will be stored in the garage and go into the new tank to seed it.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve decided to keep on reefing. My friends are very persuasive and supportive.

So the plan is all my coral will be going. To @SawCJack00 s place for temp holding. I will house my fish in the 55g tank I already have. I ordered a HOB skimmer to help keep the fish healthy.

I have a bunch of new rock on the way and will start building a new aquascape. When it all arrives. Some of my old pieces will get added too.

Red Sea said the new tanks should be available in Mid November.. Hoping that is true and I’ll have my replacement by late Nov. trying to be optimistic.

All my sump rock will be stored in the garage and go into the new tank to seed it.
Good to hear that you have community support and are prepared to relaunch. Any chance you can take advantage of the restart to bump up to the 900? Just a thought.

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear that you have community support and are prepared to relaunch. Any chance you can take advantage of the restart to bump up to the 900? Just a thought.
No space and then it would be on my dime.. and the price is cost prohibitive for me as well as the 625 was the biggest I could fit into my space anyway.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just something to put in the back of your mind when restarting. In my 2 decades reefing and after numerous restarts I feel my "next" restart will have minimalist rock work. Initially it is painful to look at since it is so sparse but in time it becomes amazing once the corals grow to colony size. Here is my favorite example:

ReefBum.2007.6.jpeg

ReefBum.2009.9.jpeg

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just something to put in the back of your mind when restarting. In my 2 decades reefing and after numerous restarts I feel my "next" restart will have minimalist rock work. Initially it is painful to look at since it is so sparse but in time it becomes amazing once the corals grow to colony size. Here is my favorite example:
Thanks, yea, I know it will make a comeback, it’s just the process of tearing down to ground zero and building back up that is exhausting. BTW, beautiful tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back